real world app

apburner

OK I finally figured out a real world application of my own to try. I am a fellow of many hobbies. electronics being only a small part. I also woodwork some and have a large collection oftools in my shop. Sometime I find it hard to get to some of them like my dust collector and air compressor. Well those machines should need nothing from my but a command to come on. so i figure I will build a box with to large solid state relays in them since I have a few in my junk box. I will control these relays with a picaxe 08m. I will put the two in a difficult location to get too. and run a control cable over the ceiling to a location next to my overhead light switch. using 2 push buttons I will connect these to the 08's inputs and when I push the button of the corect one it will turn on either the dust collector or air compressor. I am also going to set up a couple of 500w halogen lights over my scrollsaw and do the same with them. this way I can put the controls in easy access and still put the lights where I need them.

premelec

not clear on what the PICAXE does - sounds like just a switches will do - perhaps you want to implement Infra Red remote with an 08M... or kill everything when a particular whistle is 'heard' :)

moxhamj

Have you looked at the low power RF modules that are $3-4ea and interface directly with a picaxe. Range is about 30-50m so will work fine in a shed.

Edited by - Dr_Acula on 18/05/2007 05:46:42

Michael 2727

I thought the Real World went out when Metric
came in ? I could be wrong.
Seriously, now.
You have an 08M, IR and the 08M were made for each other, couldn't be simpler.

papaof2

An alternative when controlling motors remotely is the X10 appliance controller. It uses a mechanical relay with 15 amp capability.

John

manuka

Heartily agree on IR/08M combo, & between Picaxe jobs you can even use the remote for such other purposes as -gasp- controlling your TV!