Read servo pulses

D396

I am trying to build something like an ESC for RC cars. What I want a picaxe to do (18X) is to read Servo pulses And to propotianly control the speed of the motor. I have a single N channel Mosfet circuit built so the picaxe can control the motor but I only know how to do on and off how could I read a servo pulse say something like servo pin1,90 and have the motor go at 90% speed. Could you please post example code. Thanks.
P.S sorry spell check is broken

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The best way is to read the servo pulse length using PULSIN, convert that to a PWM duty and output it with PWMOUT. Basically -

duty = ( ( pulse - min pulse ) / ( max pulse - min pulse ) ) * pwm freq * 4

A forum search should find lots of other discussion on using PICAXE with RC servo inputs.

D396

I realized I didnt need speed control for this project so I just have my picaxe sending on and off signals. Thanks anyway though.

D396

Got it. Here is the code to take a SERVO pulse from 1 to 100 on and arduino and 75 to 175 on a picaxe(untested) and throttle a motor proprtianlly to the servo pulse.
Code:
symbol in = w1
symbol throttle = w2
symbol duty = w3
main:
pulsin 1,1,in 
throttle = in  - 56
duty =  throttle * 8
pwmout 3,199,duty
debug
goto main

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I think you'll have to explain how you mean by 'outtputing a percent'.

There's the DACLEVEL command which can set one of 32 analogue levels ( 0 to 31 ) and a 75% level would be value 23.

You can also set PWM duty to 75%, so the signal is on for 75% of the time and off for 25% of the time. That can be converted into a proportional voltage using an RC circuit.