Quick Question - T9600 Baud Rate

Andrew Cowan

sertxd (serial out pin) is 4800 baud. Add a setfreq m8, and it becomes 9600 baud.

However, I think it's N polarity rather than T, so it would require a transistor invertor.

If I were you, I'd spend 30p more and go with an 18M2, which supports 9600 baud on any output.

Andrew

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
No, 08M does not support T9600. As Andrew notes, SERTXD at 8MHz would be N9600.

For 'unsolicited data' reception or variable length data an X2 with background receive would be the best choice.

westaust55

While the 08M is limited to 4800 baud when clocked at 8 MHz,
according to the PICAXE manual 2 SEROUT command page even an old 14M, 18M or 20M (classed as others and use the lower table) can achieve 9600 baud with an 8MHz clock.

The 14M does have however some "hiccups" with the SEROUT command when used on other than output 0.

Denzel

Thank you very much, I am using SMD components so I just wanted to reduce the risk by using a smaller IC; but I will definitely go with something more capable; cheers eclectic

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
When developing projects it's often best to prototype on breadboard using DIP components and often the bestest / fastest version of controller you can find.

That way there's much less risk of it not being suitable and you can always port down to a smaller / cheaper chip once you have everything working. It's always hard to guess what will be needed when you start so something which can handle anything can really help.