PWM low voltage AC

RustyH

Some time ago, I investigated (via this forum) the possibility of PWM controlling a 240v LED bulb, in the end I decide to scrap the idea as I was not competent in messing with 240v

So Im not thinking of just using a 12v AC bulb instead. My question is, is it difficult to control 12v AC via PWM? Would Pulse out work better for AC? I assume it doesn't need to involve Triac circuitry (trying to sound like I know what Im on about there!!)

SAborn

Perhaps you can show me what a 12v AC bulb is, and why it wont work on DC.

I did not think a bulb was a polorized device, other than a led bulb which is a DC device anyway.

Paix

Can you post a basic diagram to indicate what you are thinking about RustyH? PWM is effectively AC with a variable frequency and a variable duty cycle which varies the effective brightness of the LED or lamp.

If you are thinking of somehow supplying a 12V AC and then applying PWM to it, then you either need your bumps read or to explain quite what you are thinking. You would be producing a modulation of some sort but not something that is likely to be particularly useful. Don't keep the brains trust guessing, a diagram is worth around 1000 words and can cut to the chase by exposing misconceptions or oversights quite quickly.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Don't keep the brains trust guessing
What you want to achieve in controlling the lamp would be a good starting point. Do you simply want on and off control or are you wanting brightness control ?

DC control would be easier than AC as with AC you will likely need phase control ( PWM synchronised with mains crossover ) and probably need a triac or similar. AC control would usually be the same whether 240V AC or 12V AC, just that 12V is safer to play with.

SAborn

Back to your original thought of driving a 240v led bulb, if the demand of the led light is low enough, and can cope with a square wave 240v, then simply driving a 240 to 12 volt transformer backwards, off a 12VDC supply with 50 Hz PWM should work. ( dont think PWM goes that low)

If you feel uncomfortable working with higher voltage circuits (240 V) than best dont try it. (it can kill you!!)

RustyH

Thank you for all your replies.

I'm looking for a basic on and off, BUT I want a fade on and off, so hence thinking about PWM.

The bulb is a standard MR16 LED bulb - http://www.sourcing4u.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=132

However, I think I may have made an error that has led to this thread. I had bought a LED driver that converted 240v AC to 12v AC, and that's why I was asking if I could PWM 12v AC. But I have just come across this which says it transforms from 240v AC to 12v DC which would make like alot simpler - http://www.amazon.co.uk/MR16-MR11-G4-Long-Life-Lamp-Company/dp/B003DV8QBS

I guess I had assumed that while LEDs and DC devices, the house hold bulb systems required AC. If this is not the case, I can simply buy a standard regulated power transformer??