Propeller , Basic Stamp and Picaxe why :)

rigidigital

I have a little bit of knowledge so I guess that makes me dangerous ! I never really looked at the basic stamp simply because I was turned off as soon as I saw it's cost $$$ compared to the few dollars for the picaxe and prop. I guess the basic stamp is popular in part because of all the educational type kits and books for people wanting to get in on the hobby but with zero idea. So to satisfy my curiosity.. Why would or what would be other good reasons that a guy or gal would purchase a basic stamp rather than a picaxe ? Thanks for your patience :)

nick12ab

It came out first - and had more marketing.

Maybe a similar comparison would be why do graphic designers prefer to use Macs when nearly all the software in that category is now available on PCs. (Mac had the software first and had more marketing)

And now because there's lots of books for BASIC Stamp whereas there's only two for the PICAXE so this makes BASIC Stamp attractive to the hobbyist (lazy ones especially) because they can then just read through a book and know a lot about it.

Last edited:

Dippy

Good answer Nick. I guess you were in nappies when all this came out :)

Yup, it was first. When PICAXE came out the Stamp was well established in the massive US hobby/education market.
And even then (on PICAXE day one) if you compared them the Stamp had the edge in many ways.

Nowadays, with the extra support and help, the choice between the two for a newby hobbyist is obvious.

I suspect you will get some detailed '9-yard' explanations, but it boils mainly down to history.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The reasons to use one thing over another can be many fold, objective and subjective, informed and otherwise; it's better for the task, easier to use, more options or more capable, better priced, better supported, more available or easier to obtain, brand or manufacturer loyalty, personal preferences and prejudices, familiarity, perceived learning curves and quite often simply habit.

What people choose is a pretty complicated matter as seen day to day in choices made in homes, vehicles, food and almost everything else.

I can give reasons why people might choose something other than a PICAXE but the real question is what is actually best for them and that comes down to what it is they want and what they consider most important for themselves. The best anyone can hope to do is lead them to making an informed decision.