Programming

Simo7007

If I want to programme my 08M2/18M2 ect, ect, do I need to build a board for it and if so, once built; how do I remove it from the board so I can use it, or do I programme it on a breadboard?:(

:confused:

Where can I find a breadboard set-up programming guide, Do you guys already have a board made up so you can programme and use:confused:

JimPerry

Picaxe manual page 8 shows the minimum circuit to program a Picaxe (Well not really, it doesn't show a 100nF decoupling cap accross the Picaxe power ) - 2 resistors and a download socket - you also need the AXE027 download cable.

Program (note the no me at end) on breadboard or spare premade board with a DIL socket on it Search for PEBBLE for a useful program to design stripboards with.

:)

Brian M

Simple thing to do is have a look in the PicAxe shop and see which of their proto boards suits your needs. I'll let you do that, it's not too difficult if you try.

How do you remove it ? Carefully, as long as you have it in a dil socket.

Captain Haddock

When you build a project onto stripboard (or custom pcb) design the program socket and resistors into it as you are bound to keep making changes for ages and it's much less likely to damage the pins on the chip (easy done) if it's left in it's socket.
You can also use a dil socket in a dil socket to protect the pins.

inglewoodpete

I'm with the captain. I always include a programming socket on my project boards. Once a circuit's principles have been proven on a breadboard, development continues in-circuit. Not only can the PICAXE be programmed in-circuit but you can add all sorts of debugging code (mainly SerTxd) to allow you to analyse and debug in real time in the real circuit. Repeated reprogramming is then quick and easy.

Removing the chip for reprogramming has all sorts of problems with it - and the least of your problems is physical strain and wear on the chip's pins.

darb1972

All good advice here. Definitely add a programming socket to ALL projects. Strongly agree with e, if you can afford it, you simply can't go past the AXE091 for reliability (particularly with downloads) and rapid development of projects. I own two of them after much frustration of trying to use a standard breadboard. Also can't go past the original RevEd cables for programming.

Buy the best from the word go, and you will spend much more time programming and learning, and much less time wasted trying to sort out avoidable issues.

Good luck.

bfgstew

Go with the AXE 091, worth every penny. I have mine mounted in a small aluminium flight case with a 2nd breadboard for 12VDC stuff and a 20 X 4 OLED, 16 X 2 LCD and a matrix keypad mounted in the lid with flying leads so it is easily configured for any chip needed, also a sponge layer for keeping jumper leads out of the way and tidy.

bfgstew

Best not to fly with it though, would like like a bomb on the X ray machines........................:p

bfgstew

As promised, my AXE 091 in its flight box, the seperate board on the right is hooked up to the power socket to give a 12VDC supply, in the lid is the OLED, LCD and keypad, holes drilled through the side for download sockets and power socket at the back, works well and keeps everthing in place and tidy.

axe091.jpg

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
As promised, my AXE 091 in its flight box
That's quite neat. I've seen a few small metal 'flight cases' but, nice as they looked, couldn't think of any use for them - putting a breadboard in one might work, PICAXE board underneath, LCD in the lid. Not very deep though, and deeper ones may be too box like ...

http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20110602/small_aluminum_cosmetic_case_and_makeup_products.jpg

Cases for poker chips may be good for wider projects and some of the lids on those fold flat.

bfgstew

I think this box came from Halfords, had a set of spanners or the like in it.

I am thinking of going to a larger size so I can have a larger breadboard and compartment for components as well, see what I can find, but a poker chip box does sound the ticket hippy, not sure about the make up box though, will get some odd looks when you open it and smells a tad on the girly side......................:p