Programming PICs - I need a favour

Armp

I've need to burn a hex file into 3 28pin PICs, not PICAXES, but used for a PICAXE project. This is probably a one off deal and I really don't want the hassle of buying a pickit2, figuring out how to use it, installing software etc - just to do these 3.

If there's a US based member that could/would do this for me I'd be very grateful.

JoeFromOzarks

I have both a PICKit2 and a PICKit3 (prefer the 3) and can burn them for you. Do you have the hex checksums too? The chips and a bubble envelope with return postage is all I need! Maybe someone closer will respond but if not, please send a PM and we’ll work out the details.

:) joe

John West

I have the PICkit 3, but I have yet to get it to recognize the target micro-controller, not even the one on the proto bd they included in the kit.

premelec

@JW you sure you got 'er in ther' rite way 'round? Maybe the foot of snow has got you snow blinded... :)

JoeFromOzarks

@John West
Is this a real Microchip PICKit3 or a fleabay clone?

What about target power software selection and how do you have the dev board powered, through the programmer?

Instead of MPLAB, can the stand alone PICKit3 programming utility recognize the dev board and device?

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/PICkit_3_Programmer_1_0_Setup_A.zip

Can you connect the PIC to a breadboard and use the “poor boy” (bare bones) method of accessing the PIC?

O/T: Did you ever locate a collection of cool looking electronics knobs I can purchase?

Dippy

Send it back John. I've got 2 and 3 and no probs.
Have you installed all the bits correctly?

John West

Joe and Dippy, the dev kit came directly from Microchip via overnight FedX delivery.
It is a genuine PICkit 3, although I did note that it is made in China in any event.
I'm running the stand-alone pgm, not MPLAB.
The device is unrecognized by the PICkit 3 on either the bd I'm trying to get it to talk to, or the included dev bd from Microchip.
The software grays-out the output voltage setting, as it seems to think external power is being supplied by the target bd whether or not it actually is. In fact, with no target bd attached at all it still thinks there is external power being supplied. Not that it matters, as it does not recognize a functional target processor even when external power is supplied.
I'm not a happy camper.

But this is not a PICAXE discussion, so if you have any ideas, please PM me with them. Thanks.

nick12ab

More on topic - if you have a computer with a parallel port, then you can make a parallel port programmer for programming the PIC microcontrollers.

Many of these designs only require a few discrete components and some a level shifter or inverter too. Programs for programming hex files to these things are also offered.

Myke Predko's El Cheapo is a notable one.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Staff member
More on topic - if you have a computer with a parallel port, then you can make a parallel port programmer for programming the PIC microcontrollers.
I would definitely say forget that path, been there, got the t-shirt. Maybe a good idea a decade ago but not these days with modern PICmicro. Get a PICkit.

I recall I had some initial problems setting up PICkit but it's usually a world with far less pain. I haven't used a PICkit3 but check there's not some separate option to set internal / external power in the app.

JoeFromOzarks

So many of the new devices require the PICKit3, even the PICKit2 won't do, let alone a parallel port device. I don't even remember getting the t-shirt.

nick12ab

Armp hasn't yet specified what PIC he's using - whether its a PIC16F or a dsPIC.

Another suggestion that could be useless or could be useful - program a PICAXE to be a PIC programmer. Or just send off one of those PIC micros to be programmed to be a programmer and program the rest with that not worth the effort or cost - you might as well just get the programmer.

Less sensible suggestion - manually program them with push buttons to enter every single bit of the program.

Armp

It's all sorted - thanks to Joe... The PICs are in fact 18F2620s.

I think I did the right thing by NOT trying to prog them myself!

JoeFromOzarks

Armp hasn't yet specified what PIC he's using - whether its a PIC16F or a dsPIC.

Another suggestion that could be useless or could be useful - program a PICAXE to be a PIC programmer. Or just send off one of those PIC micros to be programmed to be a programmer and program the rest with that not worth the effort or cost - you might as well just get the programmer.

Less sensible suggestion - manually program them with push buttons to enter every single bit of the program.
I didn't mean to sound disrespectful; I apologize if that's the way I came across.

nick12ab

I didn't mean to sound disrespectful; I apologize if that's the way I came across.
You were not disrespectful at all, it was just that some of the PICs (PIC16 etc) can still be programmed via a parallel port so the option would have been sensible in that case.