"Programming and Cust..." 2 ed, Availalbe on Amazon?

twebb

Amazon.com shows the cover of the second edition of "Programming and Customizing the PICAXE Microcontroller" by David Lincoln. The cover is red, I think the first edition cover is green.

The book description says published Dec 2010.

However, based on the date of the review, the reviews relate to the first edition.

Some posts on this forum indicate the second edition will be available in Feb 2011.

Has anyone recently ordered this book from Amazon.com and, if so, which edition did you receive?

Thanks!!

westaust55

The December published date was:

Publisher: McGraw-Hill/TAB Electronics; 2 edition (December 13, 2010)​

Amazon and other sourced had been indicating a Jan 2011 availability.

Note published is the date out of the printing works. Takes time to get to the distributors and resellers so it has likely only just hit the shelves in time for Christmas.

The reviews they link to are all old reviews as if for the first edition - Poor (or misleading) quality control on Amazon's part:
http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Customizing-Microcontroller-Programmable-Controllers/dp/0071745548/ref=dp_ob_title_bk/180-2087470-7757015

Even looking inside the book contents as available on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Customizing-Microcontroller-Programmable-Controllers/dp/0071745548/ref=dp_ob_title_bk/180-2087470-7757015#reader_0071745548
makes one believe the preview is from the first edition (or at least one hopes so :eek: . . .= where are all the new chips ) - see attached.

Suggest that you be the first here to purchase. Let us know when you receive and again after you have read cover to cover what you think

Attachments

Last edited:

fritz42_male

Yes and I know you would be supporting the author by buying from Microzed but the price difference!!! US$26.57 from Amazon as compared to AU$65 from Microzed.

fritz42_male

Hardly - since David owns and runs Microzed!

OK I know Amazon will be getting the books cheaper (something morally wrong there) but David will still score more profit if you buy direct.

ValueAdd

The image of the book cover indicates TAB Electronics which is seemingly a division of McGraw Hill publishing.

McGraw Hill have office in the US, Europe and Sydney (Aust).
The US and Australian dollar are virtually on a par these days so such a big discrepancy in the copy is hardly acceptable.
Might as well purchase directly from Amazon in the US.

David's book
"Price: $26.57 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping"

Ron's Book
"Price: $16.47 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25"

or if you need a lot of reading material, buy them both together:
"Price For Both: $43.04"

fritz42_male

Just ordered the Rev 2 edition of the book by David and also the Mechatronics one that shows up when you search for Picaxe

Both inc shipping was cheaper than buying just David's book over here!

Yes Dippy, I am a cheapskate!

manuka

I've just received a review copy of the esteemed 2nd Edition here at my NZ home. Thanks McGraw-Hill !

At first glance the style is refreshing and many novel ideas are explored,but code (especially in the advanced experiments sections) is a tad sprawling. To my dismay no mention in the book is made regarding code download availablility, but (thankfully!) fine print on the outside rear cover shows (phew!) it's been hosted here.- although as a single L O N G listing that'll need copy & pasting.

Prices ? A $US50 price is printed on the rear cover, but a RRP sticker within says $Aust70.
I'm happy to lend this to any local Kiwis who want a browse. Stan ( Wellington- NZ)

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The publishers RRP in US is $50 and in UK is £36.99.
We discount this by 30% as we are nice, so yes £25.89 is the price.

Marcwolf

Signed Copies

Ah.. But if you buy from Microzed and ask David will personally sign the copy for you. Not often you can get a signed copy of a book

Take care
Dave

manuka

As result of my Forum posting from a few days back, I've now had my arm twisted to rustle up a 2nd Edition review - a draft is hosted here.

An Australian "Silicon Chip" audience is eventually in mind, & feedback & comments welcomed -the intention is to further spread the PICAXE message of course. Stan.

tinyb

Stan

As usual you have hit the nail on the head. Just received my copy of Dave's picaxe book as well as the evil genius book. Dave lack that appeal some others do. Goo reference and will have it in my classroom for students to use.

Like the evil genius setout and some of the ideas. Still want a classroom text book tute series style thing that I could use - back to the keyboard to finish my tute set.

bye
tiny