Programming 14m and 18m chips?

pjl83

Can I use my 28 pin Project Board (AXE020) to programme 14m ans 18m chips? or do I need to make up a new circuit board to programme each one?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
As they use differnt pin layouts they will not fit correctly in the 28 pin socket on the AXE020, so no.

pjl83

Hi,

I've been trying to read up and work out from the manuals what I need to programme a 14m chip. I have only ever used project boards. This is the first time I am attempting to make a programming circuit and eventually a board to run a project so its a grey area for me.

I've found the diagram on Page 8 of Manual 1 which shows the programming circuit required. It shows just the 3 pins being used. 0v, serial IN, Serial OUT.

This leads me to believe that I would be able to programme a 14m chip using my 08m project board as these 3 pins are identical from chip to chip.

On reading Page 28/29 of Manual 1 about the 14m chip, I see that it says:

"Output pin 0 (leg 7) is used during the program download, but can also be
used as a general purpose output once the download is complete. On the
project boards a jumper link allows the microcontroller leg to either be
connected to the download socket (PROG position) or to the output (OUT
position). Remember to move the jumper into the correct position when
testing your program!"

This leads me to believe that leg 7 needs to be connected somehow within the programming circuit. Am I reading this wrong or missing something?

What do I need to programme a 14m chip?

Thankyou in advance
Paul

westaust55

You can always either (a) purchase, or (b) make your own version of the Rev Ed AXE029 programming adapter for use with a breadboard:
http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/axe029.pdf
While ostenisbly for the 18X and 28/40 pin chips for breadboard work make a convienent programming adapter for any PICAXE.

The AXE029 is also included in the PEBBLE breadboard layout program under the terminal block grouping if you use PEBBLE.

And . . .
yes, you could use the AXE021 project baord for the 08M and just let the bottom pins hang over the edge of the 8-pin socket

With the "M" series chips, the Serial Out and Output 0 share a common pin.
The pin must be conencted via the programming lead back to the PC when downloading a program since data is sent back to the PC during a program download for verification purposes

inglewoodpete

And . . .
yes, you could use the AXE021 project baord for the 08M and just let the bottom pins hang over the edge of the 8-pin socket

With the "M" series chips, the Serial Out and Output 0 share a common pin.
The pin must be conencted via the programming lead back to the PC when downloading a program since data is sent back to the PC during a program download for verification purposes
The 08M, 14M and 20M use the top 4 pins in the same pattern for programming (in common with the 20X2 and upcoming 14M2 and 20M2).

The 18M and 18M2 follow a different pinout pattern, common to all the 18-pin PICAXEs.

pjl83

Thanks for the replies.

I was getting confused but now I see why. The manual says leg 7 but this is infact Input 0.

I will use the 08m as suggested.

Thanks again
Paul