Programing 28X2

LED Maestro

Hello,
Just a quick question about the download circuit for a 28X2 chip. Am I right in thinking that I need to build the circuit shown on page 35 of picaxe manual 1 to be able to download my code into my chip.
Many thanks

BeanieBots

Correct. You MUST have the two resistors as shown.
You do NOT need a resonator for a 28X2 and the reset button is optional but the reset pin MUST be held high.

nick12ab

Sort of.

The resonator is not required for downloading anymore and the current PICAXE download socket has the pins in a different order from the header shown in the diagram.

If a logic level programming cable is used (such as the AXE027), then the 22k resistor may be safely excluded but you could damage the chip by accidentally connecting a RS232 cable.

[hr][/hr]Edit: Got in a little bit too late

srnet

Hello,
Just a quick question about the download circuit for a 28X2 chip. Am I right in thinking that I need to build the circuit shown on page 35 of picaxe manual 1 to be able to download my code into my chip.
Many thanks
Sort of, take heed of the description in the manaul that follows the circuit diagram as well;

"The 28X1 and 28X2 have an internal resonator (4 or 8MHz) and so the external resonator is optional. On 28A and 28X parts it is compulsory."

nick12ab

What internal resonator is in 28X2? 4 or 8 MHz? Where I can find that information?
Look in PICAXE Manual 2 under setfreq. 28X2 defaults to 8MHz but allows you to select 32KHz, 500KHz, 1MHz, 2MHz, 4MHz, 8MHz and 16MHz using the setfreq command.