program downloading to new M2 series

sbscott

I am trying to download a simple program to a new 08M2. Not happening. Works fine using an 08m. Having the same problem with the 14m2 unit. Can download to a 14m. I am using a protoboard. Standard 22k to pin 2 with ground via 10k. + to pin 1 and - to pin 5
RS232 connctions works with the 08m.

Using 4.5v from a stable ps. 120 pico cap cross the power. Still nothing. Any suggestions?

nick12ab

Do you mean the download won't start on the M2 parts?
How much time are you allowing for the download to start?
Do you see the "Hello I am your PICAXE08M2" message in the terminal?

russbow

This is a little ambiguous.

Standard 22k to pin 2 with ground via 10k. + to pin 1 and - to pin 5
Is your programming signal across the 10K and then the 22K from the top of the 10k to the input pin?

I read your setup as 10K from pin to earth.

Try a hard reset - swithch off power, press f5, switch on.

sbscott

Pin 8 to ground.
The serial connection is as it should be. As I said, pulling the 08M2 and plugging in the 08M and changing nothing else-the download works as advertised. I mean, how simple can this be? I have worked on dozens of projects using the old series and have had no problems. But with both the X2 and M2 series, problems galore!

MartinM57

Not happening....and - to pin 5...RS232 connctions works with the 08m...120 pico cap cross the power. Still nothing. Any suggestions?
Diagnosing a problem from long distance purely by the use of the written word is hard.

You have to bear with us - you can see everything, you know exactly what you have been and are now doing. We can't and don't. All we can ask is stupid questions and point out where you seem to be doing something different from accepted practice.

Not happening....so what does happen. Something must. Tell us clearly
- to pin 5...so this is an error? You meant -ve to pin 8?
RS232 connctions works with the 08m...so what programming cable are you using?
Using 4.5v from a stable ps...what sort of power supply?
120 pico cap cross the power - odd value. And very very small. Probably not doing anything worthwhile in the circuit at all. Can you try 100nF in parallel with 100uF?
What code is in the PICAXEs that you are failing to program? Any DISCONNECTS or long running pause/sleeps etc?

Have you tried the serial port test? Rock solid successful readings AT THE SERIN PIN every time?
Have you tried the hard reset procedure?
Can you read the firmware version? (do you know how to?)

Have you browsed through http://www.picaxe.com/FAQs/Fault-Finding/ - anything relevant to your setup there?

There is no fundamental reason why 08M2 and 14M2 don't/won't program...

Last edited:

jtcurneal

2 things for you to check

Are you using the latest version of the Picaxe Program Editor?

From the options menu, What happens when you click on the Check Firmware Vesion?

Joel

Last edited:

sbscott

Thanks for the replies. I will pick this up again tomorrow. There must be an obvious problem here but I just don't see it!

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
There should be no difference - assuming that you are using the latest version of the software and not out of date.
Also try a battery pack rather than a power supply when trying to find the issue.

sbscott

Got the latest version of the software..

Ok, got it working BUT! As it turns out, I can program the 08M2 with no problem. And, as long as power is not interrupted, I can run a program and can reload the program. No problem.
But, if I disconnect power, and reconnect power, the program does not run and I can no longer program the chip. BUT, if I disconnect the send lead from pin 7 and reconnect it, the program runs and I can reprogram. For sum reason, the tx lead sitting on pin 7 hangs if you power reset the chip.

Any thoughts?

inglewoodpete

Once programmed, do you keep the 22k + 10k resistors connected between the Serial In pin and the 0v (ground), as specified in the minimum operating circuit spec?