Problems with controlling the messages from a GPS EM406A

BillBWann

Has anyone successfully managed to control the output of standard messages of a GPS EM406A (http://www.futurlec.com.au/GPS/EM-406A.jsp) from Futurlec? I'd like to stop the GSV satellite data from being sent every 5 seconds as it interferes with the timing of the RMC messages sent every second. I have attempted to send a message described in section D of the NMEA Input Commands described in the above data sheet.

I first tried to simply send the characters "$PSRF103,03,00,00,01*27" using the serial terminal send window but it had no effect on the GPS module. When I looked at the waveform of the characters received by the module using a Saleae Logic probe, the characters appeared to be OK except for the long inter character pause that presumably the terminal window inserts. In case, this was causing a problem for the GPS module, I programmed an 08M2 chip to simply sertxd (" $PSRF103,03,00,00,01*27 ") and then connected pin0 to the GPS module. Again the logic probe appeared to show a clear signal being received by the GPS module (this time without the long pauses between characters) but again there was no effect on the sending of the unwanted GSV messages.

I have double checked that the checksum (27) is correct and am confident that it is.

The connection to both the RX & TX terminals of the GPS module is via 2 NPN transistors which simply inverts (and voltage converts in the case of the PC) the waveform from the 08M2. The transistor inversion circuit for the RX pin of the GPS module simply consists of a 10kohm resistor between the PC/08M2 output and the NPN transistor base and a 1kohm resistor connected between the collector and 5 volt battery (4 Ni-MH AA cells). The emitter was connected to earth. I connected the logic probe to the collector of the NPN transistor which also connects to the GPS module. The GPS module is powered by the same 5 volt battery.

I've googled looking for other peoples experience with this but the only references that I've found are from people using specific hardware and propriety software and they don't seem to have had any problems. They don't mention any other specific requirements from those mentioned in the data sheet.

I also don't see any sign of a 1Hz signal coming from pin6. I've tried pulling up the pin using a 10kohm resistor in case it is open collector output but still don't see any signal. I don't particularly want this signal but it just appears to be another area where the datasheet doesn't seem to correspond with the module's performance. The TX messages appear to work exactly as described and have been successfully received by both the terminal window and a 20X2.

I'm somewhat at a loss as to what to try next.

srnet

I first tried to simply send the characters "$PSRF103,03,00,00,01*27" using the serial terminal send window but it had no effect on the GPS module.
No terminating Carriage Return and Linefeed ?

try sending,

("$PSRF103,03,00,00,01*27",CR,LF)

papaof2

I've used that GPS and you can define which messages to send.
Be sure the checksum is correct (XOR of the values sent).
End the message with CR/LF.

If you're interested, I have vb6 source and a compiled program to compute the checksum.

John

BillBWann

Thanks Srnet & John, the CR,LF solved it. I had actually included them in another attempt I had made using Terminal.exe as the sending application (it includes them as an option) and it hadn’t worked either. I later noticed that that program appears to arbitrarily insert a long pause into the middle of the sent string and it may have been for that reason that it didn’t work.

Anyway, its great to know that I can now communicate with the module.

Just out of interest, has anyone got the 1Hz output to work? Is there something silly there too that I’m overlooking?

Like so many others, I’m very appreciative of all the useful information that I get from this forum.

MPep

The 1PPS should "just" work, as long as you are actually receiving sat-signals. ie put the GPS near a window.

BillBWann

Yes, I agree MPep, it should just work. But have you done it? And if so, how?

I have 2 of these modules and I can’t get either to work. I’ve just connected pin 6 of both modules in turn to a LED via a 3.3kohm resistor (so as not to overload the output) and then to the 5 volt supply and the LED glows weakly but permanently while the indicator LED on the module blinks (indicating a GPS fix).

This indicates to me that the pin is permanently grounded.

RexLan

Yes, I agree MPep, it should just work. But have you done it? And if so, how?

I have 2 of these modules and I can’t get either to work. I’ve just connected pin 6 of both modules in turn to a LED via a 3.3kohm resistor (so as not to overload the output) and then to the 5 volt supply and the LED glows weakly but permanently while the indicator LED on the module blinks (indicating a GPS fix).

This indicates to me that the pin is permanently grounded.
Are you pulling up the LED and trying to source ground via the module?

I use a PNP driver for the LED on the units I've built to turn the transistor on/off which flashes the LED. The out[put pulse will cause the LED to flash.

The 1pps on the module is a small signal (very short pulse) output but should be able to drive 4-5 mills at most. I use a Trimble module so possibly it is different.

BillBWann

The 1pps on the module is a small signal (very short pulse) output but should be able to drive 4-5 mills at most.
That's it RexLan. Thanks. I was expecting a much longer pulse. More like the blinking LED on the module. Thanks again.