Phonogramm

Hello,

i hve a problem with my Picaxe VSM.

when i will simulate a simple code for a 08M, then VSM say:
Code:
[COLOR="Red"]PICAXE program compile failed....[/COLOR]
goto main
     ^
line  # 6, char # 5 Error: Illegal character: (`m`(0x6D))

[COLOR="Red"]Cannot run PICAXE programm!
Real Time Simulation failed to start.[/COLOR]
and here the code to simulate, very simple... only for testing:
Code:
main:
	high 4
	pause 1000
	low 4
	pause 1000
	goto main
thanks for the help Phonogramm

PS: Win XP Pro with SP3

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
This is not a problem with the VSM but with the PICAXE compiler. For some reason there is probably a (hidden) strange character in the text that cannot be seen but disrupts the compiler. This can occur if you cut and paste from a Word document or a PDF etc. and 'formatting' characters are accidentally included.

Try typing the program directly from new in the Programming Editor and then saving as a new BASIC .bas file.

lbenson

>Try typing the program directly from new in the Programming Editor and then saving as a new BASIC .bas file

Or paste into a simple text program like Notepad, which should eliminate or show the hidden character(s).

Phonogramm

Hello,

thx for the fast help.

I have not use copy & paste. I create a new bas with picaxe Programeditor and write the code manually.

in the notepas are not no hidden characters. I have creat a new .txt file, and renamed this to .bas but Vsm have the same problem.

i hope their can understand me...my english is very bad...sorry

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Very strange, we have never seen this before! Is it a German version of Windows you are using or something like Chinese/Japanese version with a double character set?

Phonogramm

this is a german version of windows XP Pro with SP 3. I have today installed win and VSM new but VSM shows still same error.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We're lost on this one! Something is not correct when your files are saved.
Is it just on the letter 'm' - what hapens if you use, for instance 'nain' instead of 'main'?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Please post your .dsn and .bas files as attachments to a reply on this forum. We will then try them out here.