Possible USB/RS232 USB010 issue

I have a USB010 cable purchased in 2005. This has not been used for 3 years. I have tried unsuccessfully to down to a 18M2. I have also tried to download to a test board that I have programmed previously.
On the OPTIONS tab I can't "see" the USB/RS232 interface.
Using the RS232 test I see no voltage changes.

This looks like it maybe a software issue???

Any ideas?

Summertown

nick12ab

In 3 years you may have reinstalled Windows, got a new computer or the driver got deleted by some "driver cleanup"/"speed booster" program. Have you installed the drivers listed on the PICAXE software page? Click Free Software at the top of the forum to get them.

I have mine working on Windows 7 / 64. Go to the Prolific website and download the "new" signed driver for Win 7 ( assuming you're using that!) - chip used in cable is 2303.

Last edited:
Thanks

Guys,
The computer runs XP Pro. it was rebuilt in October 2011 following a HDD prob.
I am used the software from the Picaxe site; wd_pl2303_v3200.
Summetrtown

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
On the OPTIONS tab I can't "see" the USB/RS232 interface.
Using the RS232 test I see no voltage changes.
Not sure how you mean there; the USB010 isn't listed and a physical port that is listed doesn't pass testing ?

Perhaps the first thing to do is to note which ports are listed, and then go into Device Manager and see how that compares.

nick12ab

Guys,
The computer runs XP Pro. it was rebuilt in October 2011 following a HDD prob.
I am used the software from the Picaxe site; wd_pl2303_v3200.
Summetrtown
So the drivers have been installed but the port is still not working?

Open Device Manager, expand "
Ports (COM & LPT)" and if the Prolific adaptor appears there then you just need to select it in Device manager. If the device appears under "Other devices/Unknown Devices" with a question mark (It may just say 'unknown device' and not 'Prolific USB COM adaptor') then right-click it and click Update Driver. Try the automatic option first and if that doesn't work manually specify the folder that contains the drivers you downloaded.

Hippy, Nick.
Thanks for the advice. As suggested in "Other Devices" there is an "Unknown device"
I have tried to manually load the drivers from both the original supplied CD, and a clone (I always clone versions of software that work) of it on the D drive. With both installations I receive an error message looking for file ser2pl.sys
This file clearly exists on both the CD & D drive, and looks like the PC is not recognising the file?? Ideas??
Thanks thus far.
Summert

nick12ab

It's quite possible that the really cheaply manufactured CD that came with the adaptor is damaged. If a CD is damaged, copying it on to your "D drive" (whatever that may be, maybe a separate partition or hard drive for your documents, a pen drive, NAS, a... zip drive, of course I don't know what it is as I'm not using your computer) is not going to un-damage any files on the CD.

What happens when you try this driver?[hr][/hr]Thumbs up to Rev-Ed for pointing out the counterfeits
Kindly note that a large number of 'fake' Prolific USB adapters are now on sale on popular online sites. These adapters, which tend to be a translucent blue or green colour and are sold at very low prices, do not actually contain a Prolific chip (they use a fake inferior clone chip but still 'identify' themselves under the USB protocol by using the Prolific USB PID/VID identification codes). These fake clones will not work correctly with the PICAXE system as the clone chips do not correctly support the RS232 'break' command. The USB010 is a genuine Prolific chipset part and works correctly with the PICAXE system

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
With both installations I receive an error message looking for file ser2pl.sys
This file clearly exists on both the CD & D drive, and looks like the PC is not recognising the file?? Ideas??
Windows XP Device Manager can be a bit of pain; you point it towards the directory for a file, and then it goes and looks somewhere else for the next which was in the directory previously selected!

Pay close attention to the button options you have available including Browse ( and any dropdown combo ); it's not always immediately obvious. Keep pointing Device Manager to the right directory and it should eventually find all files needed.

Added : One tip is create a known directory c:\USB010, copy the four files to there ...

DRemover.exe
pl2303.cat
ser2pl.inf
ser2pl.sys

Then keep pointing to the C:\USB010 directory. I'm not sure if they came via Rev-Ed or are from somewhere else, but that's what's in my 'install from' directory.

Added Extra : When it says "can't find ser2pl.sys" select the directory and explicitly click on the "ser2pl.sys" file before clicking OK.

I'm trying to recall from memory I'm afraid but I've had problems too as you can tell.

Guys,
As a matter of course I back-up onto HDD any software that works, especially for drivers. Both wouldn't load.
Nick,
That is the driver I downloaded yesterday. It comes with an error message just after the commencement of the installation stating Vista Only.

Hippy,
Did what you suggested:
Interesting results.

After running the install program it was still returning the error message. Became annoyed with the entire process. Turned the PC off, went and had lunch.
On returning I removed the USB-232 I/F from the PC. Turned the PC on. Plugged the USB-232 I/F in, no new H/W bubble in the bottom RH corner of the screen. That's different at it had always shown the bubble.
Looked in " Ports (COM & LPT)" and there it was!!!!! YEH! and as a bonus it works! Yeh again.

Thanks guys
Gonzo

Agreed,
But I had turned it off and back on at least 5 times, including after the last attempted loading.
Just love Microsoft, well sometimes.

inglewoodpete

Turned the PC off, went and had lunch.
On returning I removed the USB-232 I/F from the PC. Turned the PC on. Plugged the USB-232 I/F in, no new H/W bubble in the bottom RH corner of the screen. That's different at it had always shown the bubble.
Looked in " Ports (COM & LPT)" and there it was!!!!! YEH! and as a bonus it works! Yeh again.

Thanks guys
Gonzo
That was the difference. You hadn't stopped for lunch previously, had you?:):)