Possibility of connecting PS/2 devices to PICAXE (not keyboards)

westaust55

Having been recently given a couple of old laptops, I have been thinking about and investigating the possible use of the touchpads with a PICAXE as a form of input device.

The touch pads I have are manufactured by Synaptics. One, a TM41P series device uses a T1004 ASIC together with a PTPM754A microcontroller with trackpoint microcode.. The second has a single T1006 ASIC chip. Seems these touch pads are basically PS2 type devices.

However, research shows that the PS/2 protocol, while in some ways simple, is far too fast for PICAXE BASIC to work with even with a PICAXE operating at 16MHz..Typically PIACXE BASIC command duration is around 250usec at 4MHz whereas clock cycle times are of the order of 60 usec per bit.

The inclusion of a parity bit in the PS/2 data precludes the use of the HSERIN command in the X1 and X2 PICAXE chips. The PS/2 protocol is also a bit like i2c in that each device must be open collector and use of some pull-up resitors to hold the clock and data lines high when neither host or slave device are passing data.

Was about to give up on the possibility of interfacing the touch pads or other PS/2 devices (besides the keyboards for which the PICAXE has in-build code to handle) when I came across a US product from a company AWCE which is basically a pre-programmed PIC chip to act as a PS/2 to RS-232 interface.
See: http://www.awce.com/pak11.htm

As well as inbuilt code to work with PS/2 mice, the chip has the ability to pass control codes directly to the PS2 device and to pass raw data directly through to the RS232 side.

Have sent of an email to AWCE to ascertain a few details including freight costs which is often a killer out of the US.

kevrus

That's an interesting chip. Can't help with your initial question, but i'm quite taken with the PAK-V PWM chip, and it looks like $16 P&P for international shipping

edit: when trying to checkout, the shipping seems to go up to $24...hmmm

Last edited:

westaust55

Thanks slimplynth.

I had seen that RS232 - PS/2 Interface project.
Based only around taking PS/2 keyboard/mouse data and transferring - which many of the PICAXE range can already do. Seems like no ability to pass raw code through for experimenting with other PS/2 devices.

Involves programming a PIC directly and I was trying to avoid that approach.
Not so much the issue of writing my own machine code software but more the cost in setting up to program "raw" PICmicro chips.

The PAK-X1 chip I mentioned in Post 1 looks interesting. Waiting t see if they repsond to email I have sent to them (only one day so far and not a great hurry).

kevrus

I had a reply from them yesterday regarding shipping...they confirmed that it recently rose to $24 but soon to rise again due to US postage. seems to be a flat rate for International shipping.

westaust55

And if the 18M2 has 2kBytes of program space even PS/2 in - where users could access codes directly and interpret themselves :D

Well Christmas is almost here - we can wish . . . .

Janne

Or how about just getting a good old serial port mouse =).. I think I still have one somewhere.