Popup notification windows

Haku

Can popup notification windows be substituted with a general notifications box? Optional so the popup window can still appear if you wish.

what I mean is any programming operation; uploading code to the chip or syntax testing results in a popup that has to be clicked on to get out of the way to get back to editing the code, if there were a general notifications box (with scrolling & time stamped notifications) this would eliminate the need to get the popup window out of the way so you can test & re-test syntax & uploading modified code to the chip and you can still see at a glance wether the operation was successful or not.

westaust55

Haku's request reads a bit like a typical arrangament for industrial plant operators screens.

Main part of the screen has dplays of the plant showing operating plant, flows, pressures, speeds, tonnes/hour, etc
Then there is a small section for text lines with audible indication covering alarms (usually coloured yellow) and trips (usually coloured red) with the associated tag number, brief description and time/date stamp.

The idea in industry is that the operator can look at these when he/she wishes and also jump to separate pages for more complete alarm and/or trip logs. Good Operator interface programming uses first-up alarming so consequential conditions (after a primary/first condition) are not listed.

I can foresee that some folks may not register the link between "nothing happening" and such an alarm display strip.
So as Haku suggests, maybe a tick box in the Options section to enable users to select between a pop-up window and an alarm/error strip.
The alarm/error strip however will permanently take up space on the screen reducing the spce to see program listings by a few lines of code.

nick12ab

And a third option - one of those pop up notifications that appear by the notification area of the taskbar please. This would show the status for a few seconds and doesn't require to be interacted with to go back to the code.

Haku

Yes, the notification popup box that currently appears would be the defualt setting and you'd have to manually go into options to enable the general notifications window.

It appears there's enough space in top of the programming editor window, right of the icons (when in large mode) for a notification box enough space to show the last notification, with double clicking it bringing up a movable/scalable window that can show past notifications.

Later I'll whip up an example of what I mean in a paint package.