Polymorph

ArnieW

I know that the thermoplastic compound polymorph is available from various places in the UK, but does anyone know if it is available in Australia (other than on ebay via the UK)?

This is picaxe related, as I want to couple a picaxe controlled motor to a gate valve, and polymorph seems like an ideal prototyping material.

Can anyone help?

ylp88

I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for bit this is the closest I can think of: is this what you are looking for?

Altronics: Moulding Plastic Reuseable 100G - AU$11.95
<A href='http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&amp;id=H6800' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

<b><i>ylp88 </b> </i>

Marcwolf

Hi there.

The product from Altronics IS Polymorph.
Although it is cheaper to get it from the UK (I got in 500gm for about $33AUD) from this group

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=120057455415

I'd recommend them highly. They were very helpful re all of my questions and the delivery was fast.

Ok - what is Polymorph

Its a thermo plastic made by the Solvay group. Their code for it is CAPA 6800. Its correct name is a Caprolactone Polymer.

Its got some nice properties. It softens almost to chewing gum consistance at 62C, and then hardens fully at around 56C.
When hard it is like a hard nylon that you can drill, file, cut etc.
At around 160C you can use it for injection moulding.

Heating it higher it will become liquid like a hot melt glue.

Any offcuts etc or recycled projects can be just reheated and used.

Personally I am very impresssed by its versitility as I make costumes/special effects as a hobby and this will be a replacement of fibreglass in instances where there will be close body contact.

Hope this helps :&gt;

Take Care

Dave

p.s. - I am in Brisbane Australia so if your local I can send some grains to you to experiments with

&#160;

Edited by - marcwolf on 26/04/2007 22:27:14

demonicpicaxeguy

or you could goto bunnings an goto the paint section and ask for some &quot;casting and embedding resin i think with the catalyst it's less than $20 for 500ml
it's pretty much the same stuff they use in the school science labs to encase fly,moths,spiders etc

ArnieW

Thanks for the replies.

I'll go visit Altronics - they are just down the road from me.

I'm not after resin at the moment, although I did use some this week for another picaxe related part - I'm specifically interested in the properties of polymorph that have already been mentioned.

cheers, Arnie

Marcwolf

Hi Demonpicaxeguy

Ok - Casting resin is liquid. you have to pour it into a mold before it will set.

Polymorh is not a liquid. Its more of a putty that will be mouldable when warm, and solid when cold.

Also when resin sets - it often has a exothermic reaction and this can cause problems with other components/plastic.

Polymorth is at its hottest when you are applying it and unless a heat source is applied then it will harden.

Resin is once only use. Polymorph is reusable/modifyable with any heat source capable of generating 62C

Finally - Polymorph is safe on teh skin and a lot of resins are not. If you use fibreglass then you have the problem of glass fibres. Think of eyes and lungs here. Polymorph does not have particles as such.

Hope this helps
Dave

Lliam20789

Hello,
I am also interested in this product.
I live an hour out of Melbourne, Vic.
Does anyone know how I could get some easily.

Also a question for Dave, I am interested In getting into the animatronics field as a career. Do you know of courses or work experience possibilities?

Thanks, Lliam

demonicpicaxeguy

re resin vs polymorph
i'm not saying/implying anything bad about polymorph it's quite good stuff

BUT it really depends on what your using it for
the one big bonus with casting resin is that you can blend it with a fine sand to bulk it up and also dye it whatever color

as long so you follow the safty precautions eg gloves, glasses you should be fine

it's really just another option alongside other cheaper things eg

aroldite (a couple layers of spray paint makes a good release agent)

liquidnails inside a paperlined mould is another good one (it also doesn't heat up when setting and is very machinable

one thing i did when i was in high school for my engineering class in an assignment which was to make a truss that had to span
it also had to support at leat 50kg without any flex but we weren't allowed to use wood or anything steel

1m and couldn't be any wider than 30cm
what i did was i made a mould using 3 pieces of mdf pressed together the middle one with the shape cut out i lined the outer two with paper based contact and wet that
then sat the middle layer on the bottom then filled it in with 2 tubes of liquid nails then pressed the top layer on and bolted it together i used 87 bolts and i had a little bit squeeze out of the squish hole
i left it about a day pulled it apart and i had a perfect sheet of solid liquid nails which when coupled with a second and the joining pieces in the middle it left me with a nice looking truss and it held the required 50kg without a hassle it took 90kg that i know of (i stood on it)

now it resides at my old school at the top of a cupboard and gets pulled out as an example every year

ylp88

Are you close to an Altronics dealer who may stock this material, Lliam?

I've provided a link to the product page on the Altronics website in my first post on this thread.

<b><i>ylp88 </b> </i>

craig008

got a tub a few years back when i was doing my a lavels, fantastic stuff, for rapid prototyping, i do not know if you have maplin down under, maybe try ordering off there site, but one hint if are going to mold it around something that you might want to get back you will need to - well dont its kind-a-tricky to get off
________
Dodge Shadow

Last edited:

Lliam20789

The closest ones would be:
PCB Electronics Bendigo
Star Electronics Castlemaine

Maybe I't would be easier and cheeper to order it through school...

Brietech

Any thoughts on places in the states where I could get this? Polymorph looks like it would be fun to play with.

papaof2

shapelock.com

ShapeLock
557 East Arbor Avenue
Sunnyvale, California 94085

They have a 35 gram bag for $4.95 S&amp;H to get you sufficiently tempted that you'll buy the larger sizes ;-)
<A href='http://shapelock.com/page3.html' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

Prices for 250g and 500g sizes are here: <A href='http://shapelock.com/page2.html' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

John

inglewoodpete

Liam, Altronics have a good online mail or courier order service. East Coast people have the benefit of late (EST) ordering that uses overnight flights to the East Coast - next day courier delivery to capital cities (at a price of course).

Altronics also carry range of PICAXE devices and kits. Check their website: the PICAXE datalogger on special at the moment!

Marcwolf

Hi Folks.

Ok - the reason why I went with the suppiler in the UK was the following.

1. When I spoke with Altronics they could not tell me much about the product adn I really needed some specific information. The folks I found over in the UK were very helpful and put me onto other people who were using it.

2. Cost - I imported 500gm from the UK for about $33. Altronics wanted $11 for 100gms and $12 postage.

Other than that Polymorph is Shapelock.

Now - animatronics. There are no real courses that In know of re teaching animatronics. I'm self taught and its only a hobby of mine. All of my knowledge (including my profession) has been gained from reading, researching, and experimenting.

Hopes this helps

Dave

Dippy

Was the name 'polymorph' invented by a geek marketing man as it seems suspiciously similar to a thing from Red Dwarf?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Polymorph was the marketing name given to the chemical by Prof John Cave at Middlesex University when it was introduced to the schools TEP initative www.tep.org.uk

Its also been sold in colour form in the past as a commercial toy by smoby - 'Magic Plastic'.

Edited by - Technical on 30/04/2007 10:27:41

Rickharris

There is also a version at TEP.org that is a liquid at room temp but solid at fridge temps - easy casting and you can rewcover the casting material easily.

ArnieW

I went to my local Altronics store today and they are sold out of polymorph (which may mean nationally, not sure) and the salesman suggested they would not have more for a couple of months #$#@#?!

If that is the case, I wonder why they would bother to put it in their new catalog?

As Marcwolf has indicated, it is not that difficult to get some. Anyway, I'll do the ebay order from the UK now.

jodicalhon

I did the same, ArnieW. Springvale (Melbourne) Altronics store is out of polymorph. Said they didn't expect the demand.

I've just ordered 500g from the UK. With postage this'll be about $40, as opposed to $60 for the same amount from Altronics.