please help - i can't download

trudie

Hello, I'm new to this picaxe stuff and this forum and I'm wondering if anyone can help me solve my problem.

I have a LED sequencer circuit that I know works with another picaxe chip but when I try to download onto a new chip I get an error saying that it is not connected.

Do I have to do something to the chip before it will work?

Please help me.

Trudie

Andrew Cowan

Try again with the other chip. If it works with the other chip, that rules out batteries, incorrect COM settings etc. If it is just that the new chip doesn't work, make sure it is fully inserted. Are you sure it is a PICAXE chip (rather than a blank PIC)?

Andrew

slimplynth

You said "another Picaxe chip" are they the same model i.e if are you swapping an 08M for an 18X or any other chip you'll first need to goto >>> View >>> options in the program editor, select the new chip type from the 'Mode' Tab, click apply and then ok it... failing that.. have you put the chip in the right way round? A picture would be good.

trudie

I have tried 3 18a chips from a new batch of chips from rapid and none of them work - they are picaxe chips. It is the right way round etc and I know all the connections are correct as the old chip downloads fine - the old chip is a 18 not a 18a but I changed this on the program editor - any other ideas?

Andrew Cowan

If you go view>>>options and click on 'firmware' (with the chips inserted, cable connected, power on), what does it say?

Andrew

trudie

I am at home now but i'll check that when I am in school tomorrow. Thanks for your help so far.

trudie

yes that is the error message I get, but it works with another picaxe chip.

When I do fview -> options -> firmware it comes up with this error message as well.

sedeap

Hi:
maybe you must load some simple prog in the new 18a and if work, try download the full program you have from the other 18 chip...

If the program editor don't recognizes the firmware... probably you get some blank Chip instead of Picaxe chips...
or faulty chips... or browned-out ones...:eek:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
yes that is the error message I get, but it works with another picaxe chip.

When I do fview -> options -> firmware it comes up with this error message as well.
That suggests to me that the new chips aren't PICAXE-18A but unprogrammed PICmicro devices.

If they aren't labelled "16F819", whatever they are they are not PICAXE-18A.

Perhaps they were ordered as "PIC16F819" rather than "PICAXE-18A", or perhaps there has been a mistake made at Rapid during order packing. They stock both.

I know you've already tested the chips but try this sequence ...

1) View->Options->Firmware on the working PICAXE-18
2) Power-off and replace the 18 with an 18A
3) Do not power-up the the 18A
4) Click the Firmware button, and then
5) Power-up the 18A
6) Power-off, replace 18A with 18, click Firmware again

If I got the same error for 18A as before but both tests on the 18 work I would strongly suspect I had not got the correct chips.

Last edited:

BeanieBots

The chips Trudie has are marked "16F627A" (see earlier thread)
My understanding is that the PICAXE 18 is a 16F627 not a 16F627A.
Sounds very much like wrong chips purchased.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Thanks boys, I've got my 18a chip working now - x
Any chance you could tell us what the problem was or how you solved it because there may be others in the same situation and your experience may help them ? It also helps those of us who give advice more things to suggest in the future, helps determine what are the most common forms of mistakes and problems faced are and give most appropriate advice.

Don't worry about it having been a 'silly mistake' if it was because everyone has or will make those themselves ... it's usually only a matter of time before everyone has had to admit that something didn't work because it wasn't turned on or plugged in !