picprog

Is it possible to send a filename and path as a parameter to picprog.exe so that it can be used say proton pic basic

Barry

you can get proton to run the progammer software after you compile the program but then you have to open the hex file manually in picprog. Proton supports passing the filename to the programmer so that it is loaded when the programmer software starts I want to know if this is possible with picprog it is usually done using command line parameters on most programs supporting such features.

Barry

Dippy

Sadly, this is not the correct forum.

Have you tried the Proton forum?
I use MELabs and there are command line parameters including this sort of thing - but I'm blowed if I can get IDE to autmatically send hex filename.

Have you tried IDE 'Install new Programmer' or looked in the picprog help?

Anyway, thats really for the Proton forum.... sorry.

Dippy

oh, beg pardon. Sorry, got muddled up, your sentences were very long.
Forget everything i said.
I'll reboot brain.

So, does this mean you are programming in Proton Basic (using IDE or similar) and wish to compile and then programme a PIC using picprog?

Edited by - Dippy on 07/07/2006 13:50:16

whizzer

Hi Dippy,

It looks like gbbickerton wants to feed his PIC programming software with a command-line argument in the form of a filename when starting.

While there are a large number of programs called &#8220;picprog.exe&#8221; around, it&#8217;s possible that gbbickerton may have been referring to the older serial programming software for the BAS800 programmer that is still supplied by RevEd along with the latest Programming Editor. If this is the picprog.exe being referred to, there is strong evidence to suggest that this program (dated 1998-2002) <i>does not </i> support command line arguments when starting.

However Programming Editor itself can be used in place of this older program -and it <i>does </i> support filenames as command-line arguments when starting.

Please correct me if I&#8217;m wrong on any of this.
Regards

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
picprog has (and always has) supported command line parameters.

However these are confidential and not made public - if any individual wants this information for personal use only please contact technical support by email.

Thanks technical for the command line info,it works no problem with Proton.
One thing though when you erase a pic which I find I am having to do every time before reprogramming the configuration is set to the defualt for the type of pic,it would be useful to keep it as already set.

Thanks again

Barry

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
You should not need to manually erase before a new program cycle, the first step in the programming routine is an erase (ie when you hit the program button an erase automatically occurs before programming).

Hi Technical
Normally I just program straight off but I am getting an error message so far through programming, which then tells me to erase the pic first before programming. I am using a 12F675 by the way.

Barry