Picaxe with R/C transmittor and Receiver

unigamer

I suspect this question has been asked many times before so I apologise in advance. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I am planning a remote control vehicle. Previously I've used IR to control robots but this is not appropriate this time. I've used PICAXE for a few things now so I'm not a novice but I also know my limits and I want a solution that doesn't take too much time and won't be a huge pain in the ass.

The first option is to use the T/X R/X pair from the official UK Shop. This would obviously involve me making the actual controller, ie potentiometers for control etc. I am sure I could manage this after a bit of background reading and I've seen a few examples.

The second option and the one I favour provided it's relatively simple is to use a controller designed for a car or plane such as:
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?catname=Complete+systems&idCategory=82&ParentCat=190

However, I have no idea how this would get connect to the PICAXE and I can't find any examples of people doing it or howtos. Like I said I am sure this is because I am not searching very well.

1) Is it relatively easy to do?
2) are there any examples I can have a look at?

Much appreciated!

Haku

If you want to use a normal R/C controller and have the Picaxe connected to the RX then that's relatively simple & straightforward, just connect the output pin(s) of the RX to the IO line(s) of a Picaxe and use the pulsin command to read the signal(s).

It is fairly simple.
Connect the signal wire from the receiver (in Futaba radios it is white, in most others it is yellow) to the input pin of the Picaxe. If the Picaxe is running at 4Mhz, a pulsin command will give a value between 75 and 225 depending on the signal being sent from the transmitter.
Also, you must have a common ground between the receiver and the Picaxe.
You need to do that for each of the channels you want the Picaxe to monitor.