PICAXE with other chips

lonemangx

Can I use PICAXE programming software and hardware for flashing a PIC12F629 which I think is from microchip?

manuka

If this is indeed a "raw" PIC then the answer is NO. Only PIC chips that have been "PICAXED" by Rev.Ed will be able to handle PICAXE commands. Their wizardry costs almost nothing extra anyway, so just get a suitable PICAXE from the 12 in the family. See insights at => www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz etc Stan

lonemangx

but i do have the hex file, all i need to do is flash it in the microcontroller, can i use the PICAXE software and also the hardware(programmer) to do this

demonicpicaxeguy

but i do have the hex file, all i need to do is flash it in the microcontroller, can i use the PICAXE software and also the hardware(programmer) to do this
you need a pic programmer to program raw pics the picaxe serial interface is picaxe specific unless you have a bootloader that uses the same pins

as for the software i haven't had a single with "icprog"

inglewoodpete

The PICAXE is quite a bit more sophisticated than 'transferring hex files'. The PICAXE chips are based on PIC chip hardware (Eg the PICAXE 08 uses the PIC12F629). Rev Ed buys PIC chips and 'flashes' then with the PICAXE interpretter.

The (PICAXE) Programming editor creates a tokenised version of your source code and then downloads it to the PICAXE chip's flash and/or EEPROM (depending on the model). The PICAXE chip is running a downloader in its flash that constantly checks the Serial In (download pin) in between other tasks. The flash then accepts the new tokenised image of your programme. Once the download is complete, the PICAXE start interpretting the tokens, running the 'programme'.

The simplicity of the PICAXE comes at a price. With a clock speed of 4MHz, is can only execute a couple of thousand of commands a second.

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I think we may have gone off on a tangent ...

Can I use PICAXE programming software and hardware for flashing a PIC12F629 which I think is from microchip?
If you have the Rev-Ed BAS800 programmer you can program blank PICMicro's from .HEX files using the Programming Editor. I do not know if the BAS800 programmer supports the 12F629 or not. I would have thought so but the BAS800.PDF doesn't say.

If you are only looking at programming a PICmicro and have no interest in PICAXE there are arguably better and cheaper solutions which you could choose.

manuka

Inglewoodpete- a great response! Hippy- we may have indeed flashed off on a tangent. IMHO however most such queries fail to recognize Rev.Ed's "magic wand" IP, & usually assume "PICAXing" can be done freely by anyone with raw PICS.

gbrusseau

I'm new here so help me out. You have the PICAXE Programming Editor for loading tokenize basic code and there is the Serial PIC programmer. Isn't the Serial PIC Programmer used to load hex code into the PICAXE or any other PIC?

inglewoodpete

We could easily be talking about 2 completely different systems here - I'm not sure. 99% of the users of this forum use the standard PICAXE products: pre-flashed PICAXE chips and the free programming editor, available from the rev-ed site. The total additional hardware is a serial or USB cable, a 4.5v battery pack and a couple of resistors. Refer to the 3 (free) downloadable user manuals.

There is (or has been?) also a hardware PIC programmer and PICAXE assembler (both can/could be purchased). I can't see any reference to this option on the website any more.

Perhaps Technical or hippy can clarify the less common, second, option?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I'm new here so help me out. You have the PICAXE Programming Editor for loading tokenize basic code and there is the Serial PIC programmer. Isn't the Serial PIC Programmer used to load hex code into the PICAXE or any other PIC?
There are two ways the Programming Editor can be used; as a PICAXE development platform and as a PICmicro development platform.

As a PICAXE platform, Basic language programs are translated into a tokenised form and sent directly to a PICAXE chip through the serial port.

As a PICmicro platform, Assembly language programs are compiled into a .HEX form which can then be sent to the BAS800 programmer which in turn can burn that code into a PICmicro.

As a 'free gift' for those who have a BAS800 programmer, there is a tool within the Programming Editor which will translate a subset of PICAXE Basic language into Assembly language so, with limitations, PICAXE Basic can be used to program PICmicro devices.