PICAXE with NSLU2 web server

rjconway

Anybody seen any developemnt on getting a PICAXE connected to a linksys NSLU2, ie modified web server.

The NSLU2 is a linksys network hard drive (ethernet to 2 x USB ports) and can be easily modified ( see "http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/HomePage") which can turn this beasty into a full apache web server under linux. The USB interface can use a flash disk instead of a HD to hold the web pages and a simple MOD can provide a serial port.

I want to web enable my current project and it seems feasible to just connect these two devices via serial connection. At AUD$140 its gotta be the cheapest and powerful web server around !

My issue is how to get the scripting within the SLUG done to capture the serial port and display this on the web page. I assume I would need a perl script to just listen on the serial port and insert the data into a mysql or text file so the web page can display it.

this being the case an NSLUG could provide data achiving on its flash disks and the NSLUG can of course be accessed by any client machine on the internet and can obvisouly run Apache, Php, mySQL

Just needs a serial connection between the two of them, maybe wireless network to your internet router and hey presto a full function web enabled PICAXE..

OK now anybody modded one of these devices ? or want to work with me in getting one going. I already have two of these NSLU2 serving as 500GB network hard drives at home.

rconway@bigpond.com melbourne australia