picaxe source!!

pleve2

Hello!!
Thank you for your comments!!
My doubt is because I need to know what is the range of voltaje that picaxe supports. I made a counter with the picaxe-18 and I powered with 9V, but when I conected it to 12V... the picaxe was damage!!!

Thanks!!!! and welcome to MÉXICO!!

moxhamj

Use a 5V regulator - eg 7805 or the low power version 78L05. I have a whole batch that are "Made In Mexico", so you should have no problem buying them! When I build a circuit I usually build the regulator first then put in a socket for the picaxe and check the 5V is on the power pin before putting in the picaxe.

Alternatively, if you are using battery power you can use 3 batteries to give about 4.5V.

Last edited:

manuka

IMHO "Use 3 x AA batteries while taming your circuitry!" should be boldly stated on all PICAXE parts orders & kits. These global standards last ages,are dirt cheap, abound as rechargeable NiCd/NiMH & naturally allow project portability. 2, 3 & 4 x AA switched battery boxes cost ~$1 & are the neatest battery containers going- "PICAXE perfect". The box designers should get a Nobel Prize!

Folks that use grunty ex PC PSUs, often capable of delivering 20A at 5V,are just asking for trouble when dealing with 3-5V ICs that only draw a few mA. It's perhaps comparable to using an arc welder to recharge a 12V SLA, calling out the fire brigade just to water the vege garden,or using dynamite to clear out cockroaches. Horses for courses guys!

EXTRA: Best not get me started about costly short life 9V batteries & 7805s! I regularly see schools STILL using these for general electronics work, with resulting $$$ flat battery woes when circuits are left on overnight. As mentioned endlessly before, many junior schools (here in NZ anyway) budget only a few dollars/pounds per head for take home electronic projects. Even when PICAXE powered,a 9V battery can represent half the B.O.M, & when flat may nickel & dime the poor kids to death replacing them. Worse still, they may rob one from their home's smoke alarm & leave the place tragically vulnerable...
Stan

Last edited: