Picaxe shopping list

sputz

Hello folks!
After researching most microcontrollers for a beginner, I decided on the Picaxe28 to get started.

What would you recommend I get along with the picaxe starter kit (which already has the cable, MC board and battery pack)?

Do I also need to get a 5V regulator?

Rickharris

Most advice is to start with the relatively simple but versatile 08m - the project kits are a good way to get to know the system. use 3 AA batteries - they last ages and remove several possible failure points at first.

the picaxe needs a max of 5 volts regulated

BeanieBots

Some input and output devices are always useful.
Maybe a few LEDs (with 330R resistors) and some switches and push buttons.
Personally, I would suggest the AXE090 experimenter board if you want something that can use a variety of different PICAXE chips and it already has a few devices built in. There is also a small area of breadboard to knock up simple circuits. It's not the cheapest way to start but probably the most versatile.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Hi sputz, welcome to the world of PICAXE.

I'll second Rick's comment about getting one or two 08M's ( or 14M, 20M ). They are very cheap and best to blow one of those up if anything does go wrong when you are first starting out - although odds are that you won't. There's a very cheap project board ( not the project kit ) which can be used with the 08M which has download connectors on. The 08M's etc will likely also be useful in the future in other projects and possibly even in conjunction with the 28.

An idea of your hardware, software and electronics skills and previous experience would help suggest what would suit you best, and any indication of what you are thinking of doing with the PICAXE. If you don't have them, a few LED's and a Piezo sounder will help you experience the PICAXE in real action. You'll want some resistors as well.

A Red, Orange and Green LED will let you build a 'traffic light', add the piezo and a button and you've got the basics for a pedestrian crossing.

I'd personally recommend getting a Thermister ( and DS18B20 if you can extend to it ) as it's fun to watch something change depending on temperature and the IR LED and Receiver is great for infra-red, wireless communication projects.

Plenty of other fun things to be done with a minimum of outlay which will get you hooked ( and illicit shrugs from people who don't have quite the same appreciation for your new found skills ! ). I'm sure we could fill your shopping basket up for you and empty your wallet in the process. :)

sputz

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Nice to see a very active robotics forum!

I like BeanieBots' suggestion of going with an experimental board. I'm thinking of this, which while slightly expensive comes with all 4 chips (8 to 40x).

http://world-educational-services.net/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=88&products_id=317

This way I can gradually graduate from 8 to the th 40.

Hippy, (I love that name - brings visuals of of a lucky-go-happy personality) :)
I'm a software guy, so the programming part I'm not worried about. My initial plan was to go with Arduino, but since my knowledge of electronics is next to nil, but can program in c/php/c++/java etc., thought I'll start with Picaxe to see where this leads.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The lower end PICAXE's are quite constrained, just 128 or 256 bytes of program storage ( although the executables are quite compact so it's not always as bad as it seems ), the 18X has 1024 bytes, and the 28X1/40X1 has 2048. For more complicated software the 18X upwards are the best choices but the smaller devices really do have their uses for pre-processing and front-ending in projects.

Electrically the PICAXE's are quite robust towards mistakes being made but are not entirely indestructable. It's a good choice when starting out.

Dippy

Now don't get me wrong, breadboards are great, BUT may I second/third the suggestion for a project board.

Breadboards are great but I've seen numerous occasions where newbies have trouble with 2 or 3 components for the download circuit. The project boards have them in place.

Buying a project board (and you soldering it correctly) removes one variable from your programming/download.

But DO get a breadboard as well. Bring the wires out from your project board to the breadboard, then Stan will be happy too.

papaof2

I'll vote with Dippy and also suggest that a pre-built project board removes most of the "OOPS!!" for first-time builders.

Peter Anderson offers his protoboards http://www.phanderson.com/picaxe/index.html in kit form or assembled and there's room to put a breadboard in the prototying area, giving the best of both worlds: a working PICAXE and a place to experiment. I use both the 8 and 18 pin versions of his protoboards (18 pin with my modifications: http://www.picaxe.us/18proto.html).

John

womai

As far as Picaxes being robust and tolerant to abuse, I can only second that. I managed to insert a Picaxe the wrong way around (turned 180 degrees) TWICE last week - happened because it's the only device out of 14 on my breadboard with pin 1 on the right side - powered it up, wondered for a while why the circuit stopped functioning, them discovered my mistake. And guess what - after turning it around it still works flawlessly.

Wolfgang

sputz

Breadboard or a project board? Looking at the picture it looks like a fully assembled project board with sockets for different chips and a jumper setting to specify which chip to use. It doesn't look like it requires soldering.

http://world-educational-services.net/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=88&products_id=317

They also include a breadboard. I think this offers the best of both the worlds as some of you have pointed out.

Thanks John for the links. I did check out phanderson and would've gone with them for provinding very reasonable prices including shipping at least for the US market. If only they had a 28X board...

Thanks Boriz. That link is awesome. Can't wait to try some of the projects!

Dippy

Looks good Sputz. Also consider the AXE090 as you can then get support from here/Technical as I assme that board is a non-Rev-Ed product (I'm not knocking it).

"It doesn't look like it requires soldering."
- well, the decription does say "kit". To me that implies soldering. But hey, it still looks great value.

Which "ALL FOUR PICAXEs" do they mean? Does it include a 28x?
Anyway, at that price it doesn't matter. Yeah buy it and get rolling....

sputz

You are right dippy! It does require soldering. I wrote the site owners and they did confirm that. Thanks for catching that! I guess I'll start off with a starter pack then.