Picaxe RC?

i was thinking, would it be possible to turn a picaxe chip into a remote control chip? i thought, SEROUT, through a crystal or whatever (i need to do more research on that bit :D) down the ariel, through the air, into a crystal, SERIN then to servos or fet's or what have you?

manuka

Joe: Ahem- rather hazy. Give that coffee another stir perhaps!

The Picaxe 08M mates beautifully with low cost ($) 433.92 MHz wireless data units, allowing serial control quite some distance thru' walls etc. For line of sight (LOS) work 08Ms also offer infrared data comms. Both approaches have had immense discussion on these forums. Stan

Wrenow

Joe,

Not only possible, but what I am working on. You can go a couple of ways. Use the Picaxe to read pots and switches on the controller (TX) side and then output the standard R/C pulse stream (does not require anything but a standard R/C receiver to decode it) to your RF stage, or, like you indicated, put the info out as a serial data stream, through off-the-shelf serial modules (like the Xbee or the new little jewel from Sparkfun) to another Picaxe that, in turn, generates the servo pulses.

The only problem is on the receiver side. Remember, on many picaxes, you cannot do serial and the servo pulses at the same time. But, if you go serial to the 21 servo contoller board (which has a dedicated servo output ship in place), you should be fine. Or an inexpensive serial servo controller board, like the ones from Pololu.com, should eliminate the requirement for a Picaxe at the RX end.

Wreno

Edited by - Wrenow on 26/05/2007 14:04:19

so the servo output from the servo control boards is a standard 3 pin plug, correct? which means one of them can be plugged into the ESC(electronic speed control) found in most hobby grade RC cars? and can the picaxe control proportional movement?