PICAXE on UK to USA robot boat: simulation

Robin Lovelock

Hi Folks. This thread asks about what I can do with the simulation mode in the picaxe programming editor.

Details of this robot boat project, including an updated "Snoopy Sails!" video, are on www.gpss.co.uk/autop.htm
and we recently conducted our first sea test. This year we have also been running 24/7 endurance testing on a local lake
of the total boat system including boat (1.3m long, sails 1m high), tracker, and picaxe based autopilot including GPS and wind direction sensor.

We are now in the final stages of testing before we hope to launch a small boat, steered by the picaxe, from the UK south coast to the USA.

In the past year most of our testing has been the total boat system, including our picaxe autopilot software.
Prior to that we also tested the software using our own simulation software and picaxe hardware.
PC running our GPSSIMU--->COM1---RS232 GPS data--->real picaxe autopilot-->real servo and sound output.
On the actual boat the sound is fed through a short range transmitter to a radio on the shore,
so we can monitor progress such as range to destination waypoints and rudder movement, left or right.

I am about to try thgis simulation approach again, but with simulated GPS data for the UK to USA route, via Azores and Bahamas.
This is because there are paths through our picaxe autopilot software not tested when following this route through distant waypoints.

It occurs to me that we might be able to use the "simulate" mode in the picaxe programming editor. I am using v5.4.0.

The most basic need is to take the simulated GPS data into the SERIN statements.
If I run simulate now it stops on "Please enter serin data" from the keyboard.
My GPSSIMU program outputs the NMEA GPS data at 4800 baud on COM1, on the same PC running the editor,
and the same data is being read from a simple text file.

I do hear sounds, resulting from my use of TUNE in the picaxe autopilot, although there seem to be differences,
due maybe to the fact that the picaxe is using the faster M2 chip.

I see the "simulate" menu on my editor v5.4.0 has a "connect" but it says "under development".

Ideally, I'd like the option of testing my picaxe autopilot with the editor "simulate", watching my GPSSIMU display
of the simulated path of the boat on the maps, and listening to the sound indicating rudder movement.
e.g. when the simulator deliberately moves the boat to the left, the sound indicates the boat is being turned right.

If I can't easily do it with the editor "simulate", I'll get out my soldering iron again to wire up some adapter plugs :)

Many Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and thanks for your advice in the past, particularly Hippy,
without which we would not have such a reliable and low cost solution for our autopilot.
We are also using picaxes for much simpler tasks, like the delay timers in our tracker,
which (unlike most vehicle trackers) uses SPOT and should work in the middle of the Atlantic ! :)

If any of you are on the USA east coast, you are welcome to suggest a landing spot near you - after several months sailing :)

Robin
www.gpss.co.uk/autop.htm

DDJ2011

Amazing project - I never cease to be amazed by the things that people are using Picaxes for.

Robin,

I'd never heard of this microtransat challenge before but will certainly be following it from now.

Good luck - I hope your boat makes the crossing, and even better that you are the first team to do it!

DDJ

manuka

If you miss America I'm still open to offering the beach over my back fence as an Antipodean landfall.
Stan (New Zealand -& past raiser of many doubts about the offshore viability of this project!)

Buzby

... raiser of many doubts about the offshore viability of this project!)
To cross the Atlantic is a major challenge no matter how, and to do it with a 4ft robot boat is just impossible.

But when some 4ft robot boat eventually sails into an American port, I would like to see it be a British robot boat.

( And controlled by a PICAXE, - that would be one in the eye for all those Ar*eduino based boats. )

Good Luck to Robin and your team,

Buzby.

Robin Lovelock

Thanks Folks. The family and I are taking a week's break, but I'll be watching my boat on Bray Lake using the tracker (the SPOT map link on my page below)
When we get back I'll blow the dust off my simulator, but check this forum in case anyone sees a simple way of using the simulate facility.
Robin
www.gpss.co.uk/autop.htm

Robin Lovelock

Just to say that, while my boat does 24/7 tests on Bray Lake, I'm testing the software with my old simulator. Here's a piccy. I reckon this thread is closed, but I'm about to start another - related to the sound from the picaxe :)
Robin
www.gpss.co.uk/autop.htm

Buzby

Hi Robin,

I still say a home made 4ft robot boat will never make it to America, but when it does I want it to be British !.

The link on your website seems to show the French boat was disqualified. What terrible bad luck :)

( Just exactly how does a robot get disqualified ? )

Good Luck,

Buzby

Robin Lovelock

Hi Buzby. Just follow the links to the Microtransat rules. The boats are supposed to report their position at least once a day. Their tracker packed up, so they were disqualified after the specified number of days had elapsed.
Robin
www.gpss.co.uk/autop.htm

manuka

Robin: For those of non imperial persuasion, could you please confirm the presumed home counties location & size of this Bray Lake? I spent many a balmy Thames-side hour in that West Windsor region, but don't recall such bodies of water. OK-OK- I'd other significantly more shapely bodies on my (then) youthful mind at the time!

One assumes it's the lakelet near the superb Eton Dorney venue west of London? The Olympic rowing is of course presently being held on the latter (c/w suitable patriotic zeal) & TV coverage showed it's still water conditions very distinctively. Although most satisfactory for -ahem- golden rowers, it may well be that the locality's gentle zephyrs are not representative of open oceans...

Attachments

Last edited:

John West

Yep, it's the one and the same Bray Lake. Ocean tests will no doubt be more exciting, though inland lakes can bring up some nasty chop at times. The Edmund Fitzgerald comes to mind. :(

Dippy

Oh no, Stan is reminiscing.....

This sounds a fun project.
I hope it's a tough boat or else it'll have the bejabbers beaten out of it at sea.

Good luck and if you're short on budget then contact a few London drug dealers who I'm sure will be interested :)