Picaxe multimeter

Newone

Hi folks,

Trust everyone has had a great Christmas.

Is there such a thing as a picaxe powered multimeter. I am needing to be able to measure voltages up to 15V DC with currents up to 50Amperes. Is there such a thing?

Just to fill you all in, I am needing to monitor the discharge rate of car batteries.

eclectic

37 hits, using

Advanced Search (upper right)
(tick all boxes)

and use the terms

Discharge monitor

There are probably other combinations of terms as well

e

AllyCat

Hi,

The "50 Amps" is likley to be the "difficult" part of the design, so we (or at least I) need to ask for some more details.

Do you require a fixed (built-in) meter or a genuine "portable multimeter". What accuracy/resolution do you need, is the current bi-directional (charge/discharge), and is an accurate "zero" required? What voltage drop across the current-sensor can be tolerated (if small, an Op-Amp will probably be needed)? Is 50 Amps the absolute maximum current (a car starter motor can be ten times that)?

Three possible "solutions" immediately come to mind: 1) Obtain an accurate resistor/sensor of a few milli-ohms, or 2) Measure the voltage drop across a known length/diameter of copper wire and compensate for the temperature coefficient of its resistance, or 3) Measure the magnetic field from the wire with a linear Hall-effect sensor (calibration required).

Cheers, Alan.

Billo

Have a look at the ACS756 current sensor. It might fit the bill for the current sensing part. A voltage divider would work well for measuring 15V.