PICAXE in Australia?

Protolisk

ooooooohhh I thought you have to click the lBold Italic, Underlined icons in the box.

Just another question do you know where I can get a Torx T8 security screwdriver.

In the Altronics website what category does the PICAXE go under.

moxhamj

I got a Torx set from Bunnings a few years ago. Sometimes I have had to resort to using the angle grinder :)

Microzed use express post and if you get an order off early in the day you can have the chips the next day.

Peter M

on the altronics web site just type picaxe in the search box and click search (amazingly for their site it actually brings up picaxe stuff instead of nothing)

manuka

MicroZed is indeed the Oz. master agent. If you're a raw PICAXE starter, then it's STRONGLY recommended you browse numerous "Silicon Chip" monthly mag. articles 2003- , many of which still have software hosted at => www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz Stan.

EXTRA: Start simple ! However the baby 08M is super versatile & many of us old hands have yet to fully define it's potential. Only go on to more powerful PICAXEs when you have maxed out your 08M needs.

Last edited:

Protolisk

also how come the USB version of the things cost so much.

I have one of these that came with my calculator can I use this with the PICAXE chips

Silverlink cable

but can I use the 08M starter kit to program other sized chips?

Last edited:

manuka

???????????? What do you mean???? The Rev. Ed ~Aus$15 USB-D9 cable for PCs without serial port is great value. Forget that Silverlink I'd say.

If on a tight budget just pick up an old serial laptop- even a W95 machine will run the PICAXE editor. Here in NZ even ~5 yo laptops (often of course with shot batteries) go for ~Aus $20 - I've a swag of W98 Toshiba 480CDTs that cost less than this, which find great use for schools sessions.

STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU FIRST DO SOME READING/Googling ABOUT PICAXES- the free Editor is designed essentially for Rev.Ed's versions of the equivalent PIC chips. These are great value BUT THEIR INBUILT BOOTSTRAP IS SPECIFIC TO PICAXEs & is IP (Intellectual Property) under the control of Rev.Ed.

Last edited:

Protolisk

I do have a serial port but just wondering if I can use this

Whats the difference between the 08 and the 08M and can I use the 08 starter kit to program the other PICAXE chips?

EDIT:::::::
hmm it seems cheaper to get it off the tech supplies website than to get off any Australian distributer.

UK£ 13.01 = 28.6182491 Australian dollars

Last edited:

Peter M

Chances are its wired different, if you have a serial port much better to use the standard cable (you could make one if your any good with an iron (soldering that is))

For the differences between chips check out picaxe manual 1, from about page 11 onward. If you havn't downloaded them yet there's a link at the top of the page in the orange bars.... would be a good place to start, to get an idea of the picaxe system

moxhamj

Difference between 08 and 08M = 08 has half the program memory and a few other things like analog voltages work better on the 08M. If you are handy with a soldering iron, don't mind soldering up D9 plugs, and are happy measuring volts on serial ports with your multimeter, you can build a minimalist download circuit yourself and plug it into a protoboard. The circuit diagrams are all in the first picaxe manual in the Help. Total cost including a protoboard and a picaxe and D9 plugs and wire will be <$25. If you want to go down this road, there are a number of people here who have written this all up and published it on the net eg http://www.instructables.com/id/Control-real-world-devices-with-your-PC/ and http://www.picaxe.orconhosting.net.nz/

But if all that sounds too hard, get a pre-built kit with the pre made plugs etc. The "hello world" test of all microcontrollers is to flash a led. Once you have that working, the rest is easy. Do you have a specific application in mind?

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I have one of these that came with my calculator can I use this with the PICAXE chips

Silverlink cable
Simple answer - NO. The pinout of that cable is different to that required by the standard PICAXE download interface. Connecting the two could damage or destroy both the PICAXE and your Silverlink interface.

Long answer - With a good understanding of the Silverlink itself, it might be possible to create an adapter which allowed it to be used. But, without meaning any offence, if you had that understanding you wouldn't need to ask the question.

westaust55

Oatley Electronics is another source of PICAXE items : www.oatleyelectronics.com

While Altronics stock PICAXE specific hardware they do not stock i2c EEPROMS. However Jaycar stock these – 24LC16B and 24LC256.
Most electronics stores will stock other parts like LED’s, resistors, LDR’s, 12 and 16 key keypads etc.

While most seem to recommend going the way of a PICAXE-8 series chips as a starter, these are limited, not so much in terms of programming but more so in term of inputs and outputs. If you are not sure whether you will continue experimenting and are limited on finance still a good starter point.

I spent a lot of time 25 years ago programming 8bit microprocessors including a 68705P3 microcontroller (for my own garden reticulation system) so have past experience. I do not have a specific project in mind but am building up my own PICAXE experimenters box so bit the bullet and went straight to a PICAXE40-X1, an AXE022P proto-board and an AXE033 LCD display module with RTC clock option fitted. Costs a lot more up front but not really limited for I/O in the future. About to embark on a 48key keypad using polled interupt to cover alphanumeric input.

Regards your enquiry on Torx screwdrivers, try Dick Smith as well.
Some options from Dick Smith are:
8pc Security Torx Key Set Cat No T3537 $09-60 (T5, T6, T7, T8, T9, T10, T15, T20)
7pc Torx Keyset Cat No T6140 $17-99 (Sizes T6, T7, T8, T9, T10, T15, T20)
Torx Mini Screwdriver Set Cat No T6138 $09-99 (sizes T6, T8 and T10)

westaust55

PICAXE in Australia

The Altronics PICAXE-08 (Serial interface and maybe the 08M ? ) starter pack is AUD$36 and contains everything you need to get going.

Microzed have several starter packs and the PICAXE-08M is AUD$34. Again contains everything you need to get programming.

The USB versions cost more because the AXE027 USB to 3.5mm serial plug cable has electronics in the USB plug to handle the signal conversion.
The serial cable is basically no electronics, just straight through.

While the cost of an 8M starter kit from Tech Supplies may be about AUD$28.62, by the time you add in the cost for air mail from the UK to Australia and longer delivery time there is virtually nothing in it. As others have said, Microzed will send by express mail and you can have it in 1-2 working days from payment. Though unlikely, what do you do and how long will it take to sort out a warranty issue.

Protolisk

cool well could I just get a Torx T8 security screwdriver just by itself and how do they cost?
Do jaycar sell PICAXE products? what about eh starter kit cause I search PICAXE and it got nothing.

manuka

Protolisk: Due to a 2003 JAYCAR executive decision,that apparently is still a daily regret, Jaycar does NOT sell PICAXEs. Direct UK orders can indeed be cost effective as you'll be exempt 17½% UK VAT on the export & 10% Aussie GST on the resulting import, but P&P is pretty hefty. It's only really worth it on larger orders in my experiences & for anything under ~Aus$100 MicroZed or agents are recommended.

EXTRA: This esteemed forum best helps those who help themselves. Most of your queries have been endlessly raised & documented before - refer the likes of www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz
PLEASE FOLLOW SOME OF THE LINKS WE'VE MENTIONED & DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

Last edited:

BCJKiwi

Found by far the lowest cost PICAXE parts at phanderson.com

Just ordered some 08M, 14M, and 28x1 which will land at less than half the cost of buying locally in NZ!

martinn

I recently imported range of picaxe chips from the USA to Australia, the direct saving was around 35% plus the postage was cheaper than the locals, arrived in 5 days! Always worth having look around - the world is a lot smaller than it measures. And yuy do not pay GST on imported goods at least for personal use.

Work that out - it appears cheaper to send them to the US distrubtor and then on to Aust. rather than straight to Australia? The business world I'll never understand it!

Martin

krypton_john

I think a lot of distributors are getting caught out. The business model is often that the distributor puts in a blanket order at the start of the year to reserve an allocation of stock at a fixed price for the year. If the supplier currency rate tanks (as has been the case for US$-NZ$) then the distributor can get undercut by those buying on the current rate. I'm seeing this big time with US made golf equipment at the moment.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Due to an executive decision in 2003 that apparently is still a daily regret, Jaycar does NOT sell PICAXEs.
Can they not simply fix this regret ? I suppose there are 'sole distributor' type agreements which may be in place with others.

demonicpicaxeguy

Can they not simply fix this regret ? I suppose there are 'sole distributor' type agreements which may be in place with others.
there are a few companies that got "burnt" by the basic stamp when that first came in because they thought they'd sell them by the ton and still to this day have a couple of hundred dollars worth of them up for sale that they can't shift

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
@ DPG : That makes hesitancy to stock understandable, unknown market potential, Just In Time shipping doesn't work with high importation (shipping) costs, and the best discounts are gained with larger up-front orders. It's also a bugger when lumbered with out of date product and others are shipping the latest, and many can get caught having bought at a price which is higher than what a manufacturer now retails at.

It's not just resellers who have to take the blame but manufacturers also. Having tried to import a particular product from the US, that required huge expenditure up-front and paying their excessive shipping rates. Quite simply, after adding a small mark-up and my own resale P&P costs, there would be no profit in it, no competitive edge over other suppliers. Everyone else I know who looked into doing the same has run into the same problems. Ultimately the manufacturer and potential end-users lose out.

In Jaycar's case though it read like they'd like to but cannot.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Revolution Education Ltd has never expressed any regret with refernce to Jaycar , and it is not correct for 'manuka' or others to suggest otherwise.

Jaycar, quite simply, demanded a discount rate equivalent to Revolution selling at below cost price. Which is never good for any business....

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I read manuka's comment as "Jaycar regretted their executive decision". Perhaps wrongly.

manuka

Hippy: Your initial view was correct. I continually overhear customers asking frustrated Jaycar sales staff for PICAXEs, especially when store displays feature hot "Silicon Chip" PICAXE projects. One nameless outlet here in NZ even had a sign up saying "Sorry- we do not sell PICAXE chips" until their manager was apparently told to remove it. Demand is CERTAINLY there- it's akin to a corner shop not selling icecreams on a hot day I guess...

Dick Smith Electronics (DSE)- long an Aus./NZ icon - has of course gone so heavily into consumer electronic devices that it's now hard to find in store classic construction items of any kind.

My "self directed learning" slant to electronics,means I especially feel for newbies who wish to wet their feet by browsing offerings or expanding their knowledge in store. Chatting to staff/other customers at their local tech. outlet can be a very valuable learning experience. I'm continually nattering informally to prospective purchasers (when in DSE/Jaycar) about the merits of various items & in store alternatives. I must have sold a zillion datalogging DMMs for them this way! Many "keen as mustard" tight budget youngsters of course can only pay cash & carry, & want to get cracking on things while inspired. It's not so much the costs as the convenience.

My own early teen years in electronics were so isolated (due to a rural NZ upbringing),that most project parts were ordered from the UK, with a round trip of typically 12 weeks. And that was long before today's white hot progress made many electronic items redundant in just a few months...

Last edited:

demonicpicaxeguy

the real question is do you really want jaycar selling you picaxes
when there are already some quite reliable suppliers already?

as it is a good deal of the staff there don't actaully know how to properly handle and store silicon chips of any kind,
i'd had at least two dud pic16f88's which were just stored loose in a drawer and were probably stuffed because of static

from what staff at the homebush store told me "PICAXE" was a bit of a taboo topic with managment when staff asked them if they could start stocking them as they were getting a few people asking for them

BCJKiwi

Parts have always been cheaper Ex USA to NZ if you can find someone who does not use exorbitant freight rates.

Peter Anderson's prices are particularly sharp and his shipping (surface post) costs reflect real cost + handling, not cost plus X 20 or whatever it is that others seem to expect to be able to get away with - OK, OK I know these high charges relate to UPS or other courier companies' charges but most suppliers seem to whack on the standard US$60 highest cost courier service option regardless of what is appropriate or wanted by the customer thus killing the sale!

Have purchased from the US different (non electronic) items wherever a realistic shipping cost is applied. We have had charges as low as US$5.00 from the US and Peter Anderson's are not much more than that.

Last edited:

manuka

I'll certainly go along with this,but still have to say Peter-who operates essentially as a not for profit educator-generously discounts his p&p time!