picaxe editor question

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Why would you want a max number? That would be quite dangerous, to stop making backups unexpectedly?

the old fart

I would like to keep say, the last 20 backups, and delete the 21 etc. so I had the last 20 changes made.

I've just finished designing a diesel engine noise for my boat, and found I have over 150 backups.

I'm sure I saw, in a much earlier version, that there was an option for this.

TOF

anyone want a programmable diesel engine for your model boat / lorry?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
No there has never been this feature - and we will not be adding any feature that automatically deletes an old backup.

wapo54001

I just started using PE6 a few days ago and when I went to a folder to look at something else I found many backup copies of the program I'm working on. I don't see this as particularly useful and I deleted them since I keep various versions by changing the file name with a version number.

I do use a backup program called "Second Copy" that has the feature you're looking for -- you can specify the number of most recent versions you retain. I do like it, if you need to find an old version to change something back you probably won't be looking 150 versions back to find it (and how would you find it in a stack of 150 versions, anyway?).

With Second Copy you can set it up so that as soon as a file is saved it is immediately backed up so that as you save your work it'll keep the most recent "x" nuimber of versions you saved and you specify the number.