PICAXE Editor 6 beta

srnet

This is only indirectly related to PE6 and it is something that might be addressed when the Editor documentation is updated but its difficult to use/see Manual 1 PDF and I dont know whether it general or due to my PDF viewer. (I use PDF Xchange
I use Foxit as a PDF viewer, manual1 displays fine in that.

srnet

Certainly sprinkling the whole machine with shortcuts without asking is very annoying, but having to look for the exe file is at the other end of the spectrum. I only mention it because I created a second shortcut to PE5 because it was the first Picaxe editor exe I found in \Windows\programmes\..

Ian
I went to;

All Programs > Revolution Education > PICAXE Editor 6 > PICAXE Editor 6 > Send to > Desktop (create shortcut)

kando

Absolutely brilliant
Keep it up.
P.S. Can we have the input output tables for the modules as well please

lbenson

Just downloaded a 700-plus-line program to a 14M2. With the previous compiler, it took 1309 bytes. With the new one, 1167 bytes, so an 11% reduction in size. Much appreciated--I needed that because I've been forced to rem out debugging code so it would fit, and I have a good bit more to put in.

On another note, I poked around for 10 minutes and couldn't figure out how to have the terminal start up right after a successful download. How does one do that?

srnet

Just downloaded a 700-plus-line program to a 14M2. With the previous compiler, it took 1309 bytes. With the new one, 1167 bytes, so an 11% reduction in size
Interesting.

Can technical comment on why that should be so ?

I did a comparison between PE5 and PE6 on a 28X2\40X2 and the code size was identical ..........

srnet

I poked around for 10 minutes and couldn't figure out how to have the terminal start up right after a successful download. How does one do that?
This at the top of a program has always worked in PE5, and works in PE6 also;

#terminal 9600 'turn on terminal after program load

tony_g

Just downloaded a 700-plus-line program to a 14M2. With the previous compiler, it took 1309 bytes. With the new one, 1167 bytes, so an 11% reduction in size. Much appreciated--I needed that because I've been forced to rem out debugging code so it would fit, and I have a good bit more to put in.

On another note, I poked around for 10 minutes and couldn't figure out how to have the terminal start up right after a successful download. How does one do that?
and a second slot for program too :D, i have now moved my device programming/setup menu to slot 1 now giving me more room to add to my main code and a bigger programming menu option list for my device as i add features to it.

not sure where to find the terminal option but mine comes up straight after a new download has completed, a bit more poking around is neededto do to get used to where everything is lol

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
That would be surprising to us too, and is actually most likely a code usage reporting bug. The compiler is almost exactly the same (a few very minor fixes), although the new preprocessor/directives can sometimes make some BASIC a little more efficient (e.g. adding #no_debug). It would be useful if you could email the BASIC file to us so we can investigate.

Naturally the second slot does give a lot of additional space, but in a separate slot.

#terminal 4800

Last edited:

Buzby

Struggling with 'kbin' in simulator.

I'm nowhere near my hardware at the moment, so it's just the simulator for me.

Tried my Animals prog, which uses LCD and kbin.

LCD works nicely, but the simulator seems to pass straight through kbin.

Am I missing some kind of setup option ?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Thanks for sending the file through. They are exactly the same, it's just PE5 counted 'table' lookup bytes as being part of 'program' whereas PE6 counts them as 'table' not merged into 'program'. As expected your compiled code is actually identical, its just reported differently.

At least you can still use slot 0 and 1 now!

lbenson

Thanks, Technical. I had wondered why the program (with additional code), sometimes, under PE5, reported 2048 bytes out of 2048, and even if I added a little code, or removed some, it still said the same thing.

So even if I don't actually have more code space due to a more efficient compiler, I at least have more space than I thought I had, due to better reporting.

Where is the slot 0 and 1 use on the 14M2 documented?

lbenson

Two slots for 14M2, 18M2, and 20M2 with 4,096 total program bytes available? AWE-SOME. And just in time, for me.

kando

I have tried to use the interrupts on simulation in PE6 but it doesn't appear to work. Same program in PE5 works fine. I guess i'm not switching something on in the new beta version?
Any ideas?
(I was using the timing flag interrupt)

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
I have tried to use the interrupts on simulation in PE6 but it doesn't appear to work. Same program in PE5 works fine. I guess i'm not switching something on in the new beta version?
Any ideas?(I was using the timing flag interrupt)
For this type of issue it is far more helpful for you to report this by email instead of as a forum post, attaching your file to the email so we can test it.

Buzby

Me .... LCD works nicely, but the simulator seems to pass straight through kbin.
Technical .... kbin uses the 'byte' value (second tab on Simulation panel) on the PICAXE keyboard data input pin.
I'm still struggling. Can't work out how to put a value onto c.1 ( which I think is the pin that kbin uses, according to the .wsp file. )

kbin still being ignored, so much easier in PE5 !.

Please try the attached file in both PEs, and if you get it working in PE6 please show me how you did it !

Thanks,

Buzby

Attachments

srnet

Please try the attached file in both PEs, and if you get it working in PE6 please show me how you did it !
Support\technical actually respond quicker, on weekends too, if you email them direct as they have requested.

I have emailed them with a few issues so far (the details are far too tedious to clutter the forum) and they has responded promptly.

nick12ab

I'm still struggling. Can't work out how to put a value onto c.1 ( which I think is the pin that kbin uses, according to the .wsp file. )

kbin still being ignored, so much easier in PE5 !.
It worked for me when I selected the variable used for kbin on the watch tab.

kando

For this type of issue it is far more helpful for you to report this by email instead of as a forum post, attaching your file to the email so we can test it.
Yep no problem...
Posted an email to you via
support at picaxe . com

Last edited by a moderator:

nick12ab

Could you post a screenshot, or a step by step guide ?
Yes,
  1. Start the simulator
  2. On the Watch tab of the simulation pane, click on a blank entry in the Variable column and choose b12 from the list
  3. On the Values tab of the Simulation pane, change the byte value of C.1 (the kbin pin) to something (in the byte column)
  4. Wait for the code to run for a bit and the byte value you set should appear on the Watch tab

Buzby

Hi Nick,

I tried it, but not good enough.

It's a million miles away from the ease of PE5.

When the PE5 simulator executes kbin, it opens a dialogue box and accepts keyboard characters directly, translating them into keycodes.
It even simulates timeouts. PE6 is a definite step backwards !!!

Maybe we need a PE6 wish list, there are few things I'd like to se on it already :

1 - Better support for #picaxe directive
2 - Better support for controlling simulation. ( When the LCD simulator is active it's a real pain to click the ribbon buttons, and the QAT is gone. )
3 - Better support for kbin.

Cheers,

Buzby

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Buzby, You don't seem to have grasped the concept of an early beta preview. Nothing is finished, that is the whole point of a beta preview. Post after post of comments here about a single command are not that useful - if you have a suggestion about a better way to simulate a command please send an email as requested and a ticket will be raised.

PICAXE Editor 6 is currently available as an early access beta preview. Some features may be either incomplete or not yet implemented and you may encounter bugs/exception errors. If you are not comfortable using a beta product, you may want to instead download (or continue to use) the PICAXE Programming Editor 5 instead.

lbenson

I'd like to send thanks and congratulations to Rev-ed for the release of PE6. I ran up against the 2048-byte limit on my 14M2 project today. With a small amount of effort, I moved 680 bytes to slot 1--my first time using slots. I'm sure I can move more without too much difficulty as I need it.

Without the new PE I would be sitting and waiting for the arrival of the 28X2s which I ordered. That alone was worth the price of the ticket for me. And what was the price of the ticket? Oh, yeah, $0.00.

Buzby

Hi Technical,

I *am* pleased with lots of the new goodies in PE6, and am quite comfortable testing and evaluating it, but I won't use any beta for a 'real' project until the official release.

My 'banging on' about kbin was because I thought I was doing something wrong !.

PE6 might have 200 new user-requested functions and improvements, but it's got a few behaviours that nobody asked for, or expected.

I'll send you some emails.

Cheers,

Buzby.

oracacle

something odd i have just found, with the window maximised, I can still drag it to where ever i want - ie it not locked to the screen when moving by clicking and dragging the title bar, not really problem, just a little strange

also just found, run comand not currently simulated (i have run 1, slot 1 programme is open and part of the workspace)

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
something odd i have just found, with the window maximised, I can still drag it to where ever i want - ie it not locked to the screen when moving by clicking and dragging the title bar, not really problem, just a little strange
Word/Excel etc. do that too. As soon as you grip the titlebar it becomes 'dragable'.

also just found, run comand not currently simulated (i have run 1, slot 1 programme is open and part of the workspace)
Yes, that feature is not complete yet in the beta. You can only simulate 1 slot at a time in the beta.

nick12ab

Which operating system are you using? In Windows 7 and later, this is normal and applies to all windows, but in earlier versions of Windows this shouldn't happen.

Buzby

Which operating system are you using? In Windows 7 and later, this is normal and applies to all windows, but in earlier versions of Windows this shouldn't happen.
It's not just the OS version. I'm running Windows 7, IE 9, and Excel 2007.

IE does the 'grab and move', but Excel doesn't.

elanman99

Thanks to all those who have provided feedback, we've addressed quite a few minor issues in this week's beta build.
Now available to download - 6.0.5.4
www.picaxe.com/PE6
Just to recap,

Should we still remove the earlier beta version (using 'add/remove progs') or is it OK to install the new one over the top?

Also to clarify, does the install create shortcuts? and/or does the new editor appear in the start menu, programs?

Ian

srnet

Should we still remove the earlier beta version (using 'add/remove progs') or is it OK to install the new one over the top?
Its a beta, so probably safer to remove the earlier version first.

Also to clarify, does the install create shortcuts?
Not on this version, or the previous one to my recollection.

and/or does the new editor appear in the start menu, programs?
This one does, as did the previous version.

elanman99

Its a beta, so probably safer to remove the earlier version first.

Not on this version, or the previous one to my recollection.

This one does, as did the previous version.
I owe you an apology!

When I installed the first beta I looked in the start menu for a new Picaxe Editor entry which I thought would be appended to the bottom of the list. I omitted to look in the Rev Ed folder and in a previous posting I categorically said it had not made any entries.

Now I know better. will do the install now.

Ian