PICAXE download socket

Andy1967

Hi,

just thought I'd share this with you. I had training from Andrew here in NZ quite some time back and have been using PICAXE more and more but found the download connection part with students a bit of a pain when using the 'homemade' leads.
We bought lots of the standard leads with the jack type ends and I made up these little boards which have proved very reliable and robust with the students.

Attachments

inglewoodpete

I designed yet another variation of this one, documented here.
While it costs a little more, it can be used in several different circumstances:

* As a stand-alone minimum operating circuit allowing programming and basic testing of a PICAXE
* Can be plugged into a breadboad for development work (optionally including the 3xAA battery supply)
* Can be plugged into any compatable PICAXE socket on a PCB.

I have now designed a small PCB to replace the stripboard version described. It includes a 4-pole DIP switch to isolate any of the 4 signal lines involved (reset pullup, serial input resistors and LEDs)
-Peter

Last edited:

Dippy

I designed a few of these things years ago, one for 18X, one for 28X, one for jack-PIC and one for DB/E9-PIC (to make progrmming easier).

The 'thing' that initiated the idea was a similar thing that was marketed for Stamps.

They are a great idea, but don't forget, you will still need a pulldown on the Serial In.

slurp

Like SilentScreamer I've knocked up a couple of strip board solutions, when working with the 18x I included the reset button.

To make it easer to attach the breadboard I inserted the pin header upside down and pressed the pins flush before soldering... there's a picture here http://www.minisumo.org.uk/images/Breadboard.jpg

The LEDs in the same picture have the limiting resistor soldered to the leg, the legs are bent to suit the position on the breadboard and heat shrink covers any excess leg length to avoid short circuit.

regards,
colin

Last edited: