PICAXE .bas programmes save as VB6 module .bas .

gavina

I use VB6 and PICAXE programmes along side each other. Unfortunately PICAXE .bas programmes are saved in VB6 module .bas format.
When I double click such a PICAXE .bas prog to open it from file explorer opens it with VB6.

How do I save PCAXE progs with a PICAXE format so that I can open them from file explorer?

inglewoodpete

In Windows 10, go to wondows "Settings", "Apps", "Default Apps" and go down to "Choose default apps by file type". Find ".bas" in the list, click once on the current App and select PICAXE Editor from the list that appears.

Mark Harrington

Hi Gavina you could do as suggested by PieM which or probably the best method to be frank and for quick reference the easiest

Even then you will have vb6 `open with PicAxe editor and vica versa no matter what you do here

The other option would be to keep all your Pic Axe files in one directory and then to write a script which pertains only to that directory and depending on your OS you are using eg dos menu driven for example or in some other programming language and then pass the Pic Axe path + file to that script which would then open the required bas file with pic axe editor whilst all other files outside that directory then open with your usual VB editor

That's the way round this problem

If your provide more details on OS , etc I could probably come with an elegant solution that will avoid some of this

Let me know

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I would go with inglewoodpete's suggestion of setting the default for '.bas' files to PICAXE Editor.

While a VB6 install sets itself as the default for '.bas' files, it is very unlikely one would want VB6 to launch when a '.bas' file is double-clicked.

IMO it's only sensible to to launch VB6 when a '.vbp', VB6 Project file, is double-clicked. And, even then, most people would launch VB6 then open a project from within the IDE. So defaulting '.bas' to launch PICAXE Editor should have no adverse effects for most users. I have been using VB6 alongside PICAXE software for years and defaulting '.bas' to PICAXE hasn't caused any problems for me.

papaof2

I've done the same for multiple versions of Windows. If you know you're opening a VB6 .bas file, just right click it.