Picaxe arrives at Sparkfun

Just noticed this evening, Sparkfun.com now carries picaxe chips, boards and programming cables for us USA customers.

Brian

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
A big thank you deserved perhaps for Brietech, lbenson and anyone else who got in touch with Sparkfun recommending they stock PICAXE's.

Edited by - hippy on 02/05/2007 05:19:08

Brietech

I really do enjoy buying from them. They have quick service, and on the one occasion they sent me the wrong order, I just e-mailed them and they sent me the correct part at no additional charge. I hope they start carrying the 28X-1's soon! I think that will be my chip of choice in the future, I already have a couple projects in mind =)

bwevans

I have ordered other various parts and even pcbs through Sparkfun and they have been an excellent retailer. This should help rev-ed's US presence and maybe add a little fuel to the fire. Now if there was only a mac osX editor... ;-D !!!

Brian

manuka

I believe WES is still the main US agent, so Sparkfun prices may be slightly higher as they could just be a reseller? Great news however that US outlets are shaping up at last. Next stop - CHINA...

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Sparkfun seem to be carrying only a limited range and limited stock at present so perhaps they are "testing the water". It's probably in the hands now of US customers to show it's worthwhile stocking them and expanding the range.

I wouldn't see anything wrong in telling a stockist if you couldn't buy at present because they don't stock what was actually wanted, but I would expect some good faith to be shown in buying such things if they were to be stocked.

defuzz

theres some interesting stuff on that site, in particular, I was looking at these:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=872

"What the transmitter 'sees' on its data pin is what the receiver outputs on its data pin"

so it claims it would be as simple as connecting a really long cable, but without the cable!!

Anyone tried one of these with a picaxe? I'm not knowledgable yet to know if one would work. Shipping to UK would be more than the gear itself though :-(

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
"What comes out is what went in" is unfortunately more theory than practice and especially so when holding transmitter input lines high or low for prolonged periods.

I couldn't see anything which made them any more unique than other simple and low-cost TX/RX pairs and expect they respond no better than others in that respect.

Maplins and others sell similar matched TX/RX pairs in the UK.

eclectic

defuzz - Hippy's perfectly correct.

Try a very similar version here, for
GB £7.47 (I did. They work!)

<A href='http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RF-modues_W0QQitemZ290110124703QQihZ019QQcategoryZ36323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

e.

Hippy said &quot;Sparkfun seem to be carrying only a limited range and limited stock at present so perhaps they are &quot;testing the water&quot;. It's probably in the hands now of US customers to show it's worthwhile stocking them and expanding the range.&quot;

They do state that they have more on the way. And specifically they say &quot;New boards and the new 14 pin PICAXE controllers should be arriving soon!&quot; I would bet they'll have the x1 chips available soon.