PICAXE 40X-1 and 3 DS18B20

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Have a read of the PICAXE Manuals which describe how to connect DS18B20's ( see the READTEMP command ) and how to connect an LCD. There's also a wealth of information on this forum - Search is from the top right of the page.

If this is your first PICAXE project, start by getting a LED to flash, pizeo to 'beep' and so on. As you get used to controlling things and understanding the PICAXE commands it will all become much easier and clearer.

For your project, get DS18B20 reading working ( with DEBUG or SERTXD ), get the LCD working and then put the two together rather than trying to do one large and complex project in one go. Taking it one step at a time and building on experience and knowledge you pick up as you go along is the fastest way to get to the end result you require.

Armagon

No, I built some PICAXE projects before, but really, I need to know If I can use all input ports to connect DS18B20 sensor on PICAXE40X-1, because I used a PICAXE 18X and it only use Input 7 (readtemp) pin, I not sure in PICAXE 40X-1 if all Inputs accept this sensor or only Input 7, if PICAXE 40X-1 only have 1 input pin able to read the sensor DS18B20 then how I do to connect 2 additional sensor, I need measure 3 different temperatures

Thanks

________
Lexus ES history

Last edited:

Armagon

No, I built some PICAXE projects before, but really, I need to know If I can use all input ports to connect DS18B20 sensor on PICAXE40X-1, because I used a PICAXE 18X and it only use Input 7 (readtemp) pin, I not sure in PICAXE 40X-1 if all Inputs accept this sensor or only Input 7, if PICAXE 40X-1 only have 1 input pin able to read the sensor DS18B20 then how I do to connect 2 additional sensor, I need measure 3 different temperatures

Thanks

________
iolite portable vaporizer

Last edited:

Armagon

Thanks

________
honey oil

Last edited:

Armagon

Ok, but how can I do to know which Sensor is used and selected, how do I change the basic command READTEMP to identify each sensor?
________
herbalaire

Last edited:

RexLan

Hello ... Hello .... Hello .......echo

I downloaded the new Editor v 5.1.0 and noticed that there are no 40 series parts in it!

What is the deal on that?

JackoS

Armagon,

You can use the ReadTemp on other pins aswell, check the syntax for ReadTemp. I have been using this on a datalogger (18X) with 3 DS18B20 connected.

Jack

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
readtemp can be used on any input on any part (except input 3 on 08M/14M parts)

So 3 DS18B20 sensors can be on 3 inputs.

readtemp command only supports one sensor per input, because it used the 1-wire 'SKIPROM' command. If you are familiar with the (complex) 1-wire protocol, and using the 28X1/40X1 (owout, owin commands), you can write your own communication routine using 'matchrom' command and the DS18B20 sensors ID number. This enables you to have more than one sensor on the same input, and address each one via its unique serial number. But it is complex to do - if you have 3 inputs spare that is much easier!

5.1.0 does support all the 40X / 40X1 parts. As explained on the 'modes' screen for the 40X1 just select the 28X1 compiler.

BeanieBots

Maybe you could help me to get Technical to publish a tutorial about one-wire using ROM SEARCH as the example!
<A href='http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=6771&amp;forum_id=30&amp;Topic_Title=1wire+DS18s20+and+x1+parts&amp;forum_title=PICAXE+Forum&amp;M=False&amp;S=True' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>
It's not for the faint hearted.