Picaxe 28x2 doesn't connect to PC

Sifty

Hi!

I have made a pcb to program my picaxe and I can't connect it to my pc. It doesn't detect it.

I have tried the test port in picaxe program and it is right.

Do you see anything wrong? I connect cables to a wall charger (12V) and I use a 7805 to get 5V.

Reset button get connection from 1th leg of picaxe. It goes down picaxe from 1th leg to button.

jtcurneal

It does not appear that you have a ground connection to your serial receptor. the 10K resistor also has to go to ground.

Joel

fritz42_male

Ah got it. Apologies for my assumption. Given that a download capability is as simple as 2 resistors and a 3 pin header, I didn't think it would be a programming board only, I expected it to fulfill other functions. Mea Culpa and thank you.

Sifty

Down side:

I think I forgot 10k/download socket to 0V track as Technical said. I will create it this afternoon and I will post what happends. Thanks all.

If you see anything wrong please tell me, I will correct also.

MartinM57

That's a lot of work just to make a programming board - as you will have to keep taking the PICAXE out of the circuit it is in, put into programming board, program, take out of programming board, put back into circuit. Most people put the socket + Rs into the circuit being developed.

Unless you are mass-programming PICAXEs one after the other, in which case I would suggest a ZIF socket

I would put the socket right on the edge of the board to make it easier to access.

Last edited:

srnet

Agree with the comment about a ZIF, for a programmer board these are far kinder to the PIXAXE chip legs.

A 28pin ZIF is £2 delivered off eBay .......

Sifty

I know I could put the programming circuit in any board but I prefer to program it and after put on a smaller board just with concrete circuit.

This is my first board and it took me about 30 minutes to make it. So I think it is not lot of time to practice.

About socket. I prefer other also but I hadn't them. I use a 28x2 in a socket and I put that combo in the socket of programming board, by this way I protect a little bit more 28x2's legs.

Also, if I think it is not ok for me when I use it, I will make another board with a better distribution.

Thanks anyway, I will look for that zif socket on ebay right now.

Sifty

It works!! I just make that connection and pc recognised it quickly. I tried to download a program also and it works fine.

Thanks all!! I will try to make a line follower this weekend. I will post photos next week if I am success.