PICAXE 28 com port problem

David Marks

I am trying to renew my aquaintance with the PICAXE system afte a brief encounter a couple of years ago. I have a Picaxe experimenter boardwith a 28 pin device on board (not sure which version) with an led connected to output 4 I have a variable rate fash so presumably a program I tried out before is working ! I have found a serial to stereo cable which I believe to be the original and pin for pin the connections match up with those shown in the manual. I have downloaded the latest editor, written a brief flash type program and having set up (hopefully) the coms 2 port (device manager says it is working) I have tried with no success whatsoever to program the device. All I get is a "hardware not found on Com 2 " message. Tried using reset and changed the type of 28 selected but not a squeak.
I have little doubt that I am doing something pretty stupid but would welcome any suggestions as to what that might be.
Thanks

kevrus

With the coms cable plugged in, try pressing 'refresh' in the programme editor ( its the top button under the serial tab), it may bring up another coms port.

kevrus

Next thing to check is the supply voltage to the picaxe. Have you measured the voltage across the supply pins, you should have +ve on pin 20 and -ve on pin 8.
Make sure that the voltage isnt too high or too low as this causes download problems. Are you using batteries as it may benefit from a new set.

David Marks

Hi,
4.98 volts on pin 20. Thought I would try using a usb port as I have what appears to be a usb to serial cable. I downloaded the drivers from the picaxe site and cant get them to install either. This has been one of those days when absolutely nothing works (i won't bore you with all the rest !) I am using the supply built into the picaxe experimenter board

kevrus

Hmmm, it doesnt seem easy to determine if you have a PC issue or a picaxe/download/ experimenter board issue. To save a lot of time, it would be advantageous if someone local could try the picaxe and experimenter board on their PC with their program editor.
I would have a go but it would involve posting.

Unless someone else has any ideas...

David Marks

Hi,
Problem solved (or rather avoided !)
Iloaded the software onto my laptop and connected up and lo and behold it is now working.. This has the added advantage that I can work on the picaxe when my grandchildren have commandeered the desktop. Thanks for all you help it has been much appreciated

Cheers

David M