PICAXE 20X2 HPWM Question

laserhawk64

Hello, all! It's been a while.

mrburnette has sent me some PICAXE stuff. Quite a bit, actually (thanks, dude! you're awesome!) -- and I've done my first little project with it. But that's a story for another day.

He and I have been communicating by email about a project concept of mine, that requires PWM output of one sort or another. I don't want to sidetrack from the central question too much so I won't go into much detail about the project itself. mrburnette and I haven't quite been able to crack this nut because I'm just starting and he's not used PWM/HPWM much.

I want to use a PICAXE 20X2 chip in my project, though. I know that for sure. I'm pretty sure that, for what I need to do, I need the HPWM command, in Single Mode. I want to output three simultaneous /separate/ PWM frequencies. (Separate meaning that each frequency is 100% independent of the others.)

I've looked at the BASIC Commands listing, and it has what feels to me to be possibly conflicting information. I've looked at the Microchip PIC datasheet for the chip and *it* supports what I want to do (that chip has four internal timers). But I'm not sure that the firmware will let me -- I think I'd have to run three commands simultaneously and IIRC X2 parts don't like that idea.

So: can a single 20X2 be made to output multiple independent/separate PWM frequencies...? or do I need three chips?

laserhawk64

Nevermind, going with 555's. I had wanted to add a special set of secondary functions but I'm not that advanced.

Mods close, sorry to waste space on the servers.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
can a single 20X2 be made to output multiple independent/separate PWM frequencies...?
No. All HPWM channels use a common frequency and duty to create their output. Alter the frequency or duty and it will affect all HPWM output channels.