PICAXE 18X vs 18M2+

davidwf

Am I correct in thinking pin 6 on the newer 18M2+ is an i/p / o/p pin whereas on the older 18X it was o/p only ?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
That is correct. Legs 6 to 13 on the 18X were output only. As port B pins on the 18M2 they can each be input or output.

davidwf

Thanks hippy.... long time no speak :)

Remind me if you would.... do I have to specify that they are i/p or o/p

thanks

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
do I have to specify that they are i/p or o/p
Not sure how to really answer that, how you mean exactly.

You will need to set them as output to use them as outputs, but that is usually implicit in the command, HIGH or LOW etc.

westaust55

To expand upon the information from hippy,
On the M2 and X2 parts most pins are inputs by default until specifically by commands set as outputs.

davidwf

pin 4 on 18X was a reset pin, on 18M2+ it appears to be an i/p pin ..... does it still need to be tied to +5V ?.... if not, presumably tying it to 0V with 100K would be good if not used ....yes ?

BeanieBots

It's always good practice to tie down any floating pins, but the 18M2+ will still work fine if you don't. Unlike the 18X which MUST have reset tied high.

BeanieBots

Yes, that would be fine but 10k is more common as a pull-down as it has higher noise immunity but in practice any value between 330R and 1M would be fine.

davidwf

surely if the pins are configured as o/p there would be no need for pull down resistors ?

If I set them as "low" at the start of the program would that not suffice ?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Depends what you want to do. In most cases inputs can be left floating with no detrimental effect. It is however recommended to not leave inputs floating, recommended to have inputs pulled down by a resistor, but, yes, they can be made outputs instead.

davidwf

Thanks, appreciate and understand your comments regarding floating inputs, I do not need those particular pins so would prefer to set them as low at the start of the program to reduce component count (and maily space !) on an already overcrowded PCB

BeanieBots

I/O pins can be made outputs and on some PICAXEs you can configure internal pullups. Don't forget leg4 on the 18M2 is input ONLY.
You CAN leave it floating, but the OFFICIAL stance is to tie it down. I often leave them floating, the only time it is an issue is if you are looking for minimum current consumption or high accuracy ADC work. Each time an input changes state (a floating input will often synchronise with mains and toggle at 50/60Hz) it draws a significant amount of current from the supply for a very short duration. This causes unnecessary current draw and puts noise on the supply rail. Also, adjacent ADC pins will be slightly effected by a very small amount, especially if their source impedance is higher than recommended.

If you are short of space, not after ultra low power consumption and not using high accuracy ADC, then leave them off. But if anybody asks, say I said to fit them.
As for decoupling caps. Fit them. Always fit them. Never forget to fit them. If you don't fit them, don't come crying to me!

westaust55

sufficient decoupling ??
in terms of across the PICAXE chip by the schematic yes. C3 not shown in the PCB layout - should be as close to power supply pins as possible.

However on the 7805 output:
1. the electro/tantalum capacitor typically needs only to be around 10 to 33 uF (unless you are trying to support the 5Vdc line though momentary supply side voltage loss)
2. a 0.1 uF/ 100 nF ceramic capacitor is usually recommended to improves ripple rejection and transient response

See a typical 7805 datasheet:
https://www.fairchildsemi.com/datasheets/LM/LM7805.pdf (eg page 19)
and
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm78l05.pdf (eg page 9 -where could be lower value for 87L05 parts)
but also see note 2 on page 3 under the Electrical Characteristics table.

Also see PICAXE manual 1 (http://www.picaxe.com/docs/picaxe_manual1.pdf) at page 26 - and yes that does show a 100 uF electro on the output side of the 7805.

Last edited:

davidwf

Fair comment.... but surely a bigger one would be better ?

I already have 1000uF across the input to the 7805 further "upstream" .... do we NEED the 0.1uF as well ???

westaust55

The mentioned note 2 in the datasheet:
(2) Recommended minimum load capacitance of 0.01 μF to limit high frequency noise.
Note that is:
(a) recommended, and
(b) the minimum value

Irrespective of what is upstream of the input side the 0.01 to 0.1 uF ceramic cap on the 78[L]05 output is there to "help" prevent the local device going into high frequency resonance.