PIC programs on PICAXE?

crndy52

I have noticed that there seem to be a lot of projects and programs available for PIC microcontrollers but not so many for the PICAXE. I wish things were - different but they just aren't - yet. Most of the PIC programs I have looked at are written strange languages I have never heard of like C Source Code, HEX Files, and Assembly Source Codes. I understand that a PICAXE is a PIC with a special program added to make things like programming the chip with a USB or serial cable a lot easier, and for that I am truly thankful. However, I really would like to build some of the neat PIC projects I have found that use the PIC. I have an extensive electronics background, but I am just learning to use the PICAXE and am really enjoying it. I don't want to change. Can I load a PIC program into a PICAXE if I use the PICAXE that the PIC program was written for. (Try saying that last sentence 3 times real fast) Also, if I can do that, can I use the PICAXE Program Editor software to do so?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
You can load a PIC program into a PICAXE but you'll lose the PICAXE functionality forever.

You can use the Programming Editor to develop PIC programs but only a limited number of PICmicro's are supported by default and if you want to program from within the Programming Editor you have to buy Rev-Ed's proprietory PICmicro Programmer.

Bottom line IMO is, outside of an education environment, there are better choices for PIC programming.