PIC heats up

lawnmowerman

Seems my PIC all of a sudden just heats up like crazy. the same power supply that has been connected since forever is being used. power meter shows 5v being delivered. Any idea what that means?

BeanieBots

You either have a shorted output or the PIC is dead. Without knowing the history that lead up to this event it is impossible to say for sure.
Over loading the outputs, inductive loads without catch diodes, power supply reversal, over voltage and many other possible causes could be to blame.

Michael 2727

Soldered PCB or BreadBoard,,,?
If soldered look for lose solder blobs, shorted tracks or offcuts of wire etc.
Either way it doesn't sound very good.

ylp88

It sounds like you are using a main powered system. Sometimes it is a good idea to use a plugpack of around 8-9V and then regulate the voltage yourself, or at least use a 5.1V zener on your supply line to ensure that any power spikes from the plugpack do not fry anything in your chip, or any thing else powered from that plugpack for that matter.

Perhaps you can check how much power your PIC is drawing and compare it to an estimate to how much it should be drawing - how heavily loaded are you pins, are you driving peripherals, etc. If a lot more power is being drawn than expected, then something is probably fried/shorted ... broken.

<b><i>ylp88 </b> </i>

Fowkc

Take out the PICAXE and put in an entirely seperate breadboard with the basic download circuit in the manual. Power it from 3xAAs. If you can download a simple LED flasher circuit to it, then you know that
a) your PICAXE is not dead
b) the problem is with something on your other circuit board

This is what I always do if things start heating up. Take it out of the board. If you leave it in and start poking/prodding/testing/diagnosing with the component in place, you are just as likely to actually kill the thing or cause more damage to other components or both.

Edited by - Fowkc on 19/05/2006 10:52:13

I always put stick on labels on my chips, like S.Swann's website pictures. Once I applied the label upside down, and of course I then put it into the breadboard upside down. Thus applying +5vdc to the gnd pin and vice versa. It got really hot, really quick, it let the magic smoke out.

This isn't perchance your problem?