Photosensitive Dry Film Negative Photoresist (a little OT)

clockwork

I have nearly completed making a UV LED lightbox to expose photosensitive PCBs. My intention is to
produce PCBs from pre-sensitised PCB (for PICAXE projects of course).

However whilst searching the Internet for possible suppliers of the PCBs I came across a number of sites on E***
that are selling "Photosensitive Dry FIlm Negative Photoresist, DuPont MM 540 sheets" in A4 size. Green in colour.
Also another site that has similar sheets but 6" x 8", Blue in colour. Possibly also made by DuPont as only difference appears
to be colour and size.

My Question is does anybody have experience of using this product? Is it worth buying? Ease of use? How good a result does it give?
I appreciate that a Negative transparency is required rather than a Positive transparency, not too difficult to produce.

I am asking because I still have a good stock of normal single sided PCB board that I previously used (either for Manhattan style building or
making PCBs using the Toner Transfer method) just sat there waiting to do something useful.

Many thanks clockwork

eclectic

Well if no-one replies, it's only
£4.25 + £1.89.

Might it be worth a gamble?
Then you can report back here.

e

SAborn

Have a search back a few days as i posted a link for some positive resist board off fleabay for the kinsten brand of board, which is a excellent quality board to work with, 100% quality every time. (about 3-4 days ago)

Never used negative board in the last 20 years and didnt think they still made it, then why would you want to use it nowdays.
Almost all design software prints out standard for positive board, and to chop and change is only a recipie for a problem i think.

Dippy

I've never tried it, but looking at the instructions it seems like too much hassle for an impatient old mugger like me :)
Any bubbles or imperfect bonding could result in cocked-up board and I like an easy life.

"I appreciate that a Negative transparency is required rather than a Positive transparency"
- I don't understand? Why should it be any different to normal photo-resist PCB transparency?
I might have got wrong idea, but basically you are just ironing on a photo-resist layer aren't you?

If you do have to do a positive print then I can see printer ink salesmen rubbing their hands... ;)

I have never seen it mentioned on-Forum before but maybe someone will spot this in a few weeks and respond.
I reckon it would be good for something though.
FWIW: I use FR4 from Rapid. Not the cheapest but it keeps the money in the country.

Dicky Mint

Just a little observation.. The Dupont sheets are not pre-sensitized PCBs, positive or negative, they're some form of translucent plastic sheet.
Sorry I retract my statement I didn't look at the e.. page properly and jumped to conclusion, whoops!

Last edited: