PE6 error reports

bpowell

Hi Technical,

I'm having some crashes on PE6 (running under WINE...so I'm sure that's a wrinkle...)

I've sent a crash report...can you tell me what's bombing? I'm not seeing anything in my logs or terminal.

Thanks!

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Reports are anonymous, so we would need a time and data of when it was sent. And the version of PE6 in use at the time.

bpowell

Hi Technical,

Crash reports were sent in the afternoon of 10/5 (Pacific time)...I'm using version 6.0.7.0...I get an error popup just from typing in the editor...just sent another report...10/6 at 3:07 PM PST.

Thanks!

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Please update to the latest version, there is a known fault in 6.0.7.0 that is fixed already in the latest version.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
It looks like a WINE issue to do with reading the clipboard to see if it currently contains text. What version WINE are you using?

bpowell

I'll grab the latest version tonight, thanks.

Edit: Fired up the laptop...my WINE version is 1.7.27.

I'm downloading the latest PE now...but won't get it installed until tonight.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We can workaround the issue and catch the specific WINE exception and ignore it, so at least it will be usable in the next release under WINE.
However it is a WINE memory emulation issue, not a PE6 issue.

Attachments

bpowell

Thanks Technical...I just upgraded PE6...(I know, I said I'd wait, but I'm anxious!) and I upgraded to the latest wine...still bonked...just sent another error report.

If PE6 can be made to ignore this error...that would be great!

Thanks again!

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Does the fault also occur if there is already some text on the clipboard (e.g. copy some text onto the clipboard using some other editor such as notepad)

bpowell

Technical,

Yes...still bonks...(just sent a fresh error report)...this time, it seemed to take longer before my typing crashed it. Once it threw the error, I sent the report, and the Editor was still there (which happens sometimes, sometimes it closes completely) and when I kept typing, it was only 3 or 4 characters before another error.

I was able to paste the test I'd put in the clipboard into the editor...so the clipboard interaction seems to work. It goes the other way as well...I can copy text from the Editor and paste into Notepad.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Its not the clipboard itself that is at fault, it's the system request 'is there any text on the clipboard?' that cause=s WINE to give up. It's a WINE emulation fault.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
@bpowell - please email us at support at picaxe dot com so we can send you a test build. Thanks.