PE6 editor 6.0.6.4 issues

Haku

I'm trying to get used to this new editor having been used to PE5 for so long and running across a few things that I'm stumbling over, making things take longer than they should to do:

1) Quitting the Serial Terminal asks me if I want to quit, can't find out how to stop asking me every time.

2) If you try and syntax check (F4) or program a chip (F5) and there's an error in the code, the resulting popup window can't be closed by simply & quickly pressing space or return like the Syntax Check Successful popup window. I have to press OK with the mouse or press tab first to highlight the OK button and then press space or return.

3) I prefer the indentation of my code to be done with single spaces, this editor automatically puts a tab in when you press return to make a new line within a nested piece of code, I can't find any option to make it a single space instead of tab which takes up the equviilant of 6 spaces. This is perhaps the most annoying feature of the new editor. Nevermind, found the setting :)

4) It would be nice if the editor recognised you put "#picaxe 40x2" in the code and so adjusted the Workspace Explorer to select the 40x2 rather than having to manually go in and change it to 40x2 (or whatever type you put in the code).

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
1) Options>Editor>Terminal>Prompt Before Exit
2) Return works ok for us already? We can probably also add space as well.
3) Options>Editor>Whitespace, various settings for tab behaviour are available
4) This has been discussed before, with the new preprocessor you can't preprocess correctly without knowing the chip type in advance. So setup a workspace for each project, setup the workspace PICAXE type once, and then whenever you open that workspace the chip will always be correct for that project. It's a new way of working, opening a workspace for each project with a unique PICAXE selection for that project, not just a single .bas file with a 'global' PICAXE selection as in PE5 . This process is now required because you are now allowed more than one BASIC file for each project (ie a workspace can contain a main .bas file and several included files) and hence preprocessing needs to know the chip type in advance.

tiscando

I get an error when I try and syntax check a large program with lots of table and eeprom commands in PE6: "Preprocessor has stopped responding - unknown error". I have attached the code, which works fine in PE5. I am using a Surface Pro 2 with Windows 8.1B. Any ideas?

Thanks. T

Attachments

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
You have some extremely long lines there that may be overflowing the pp, so we'll look into it.

But as you are not using any pp features anyway you can simply turn it off to avoid the issue - File>Options>Compiler