PCB Tinning

Mad Professor

Good Day All.

I have been making home made PCB for my picaxe project for awile now.

I have been using single and dual sided copper clad boards, and using laser tonner xfer via standard inkjet glossy paper.

I am now looking at tinning the pcb's I make, I know in the US you can buy a product called Liquid Tin.

So far I have been unable to find anything like this here in the UK.

Do you know of anywhere I can get something like this Liquid Tin?

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

manuka

Board tarnishing is naturally undesirable, but have you considered spray on clear protective flux coating? Rapid Electronics sell it at ~£3 a can => http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fasteners-Production-Equipment/Soldering-Equipment/Solder-Fluxes/PCB-flux-spray/30093/kw/87-0715 . Such coatings greatly enhance board appearance, protect tracks & joints, prevent shorts AND neatly solder thru'. The only down side relates to waiting for it to dry.

I'd a lot to do some decades ago with board tinning & found it gave inferior results at the DIY level. Aside from the cost (tin being a near precious metal of course), PCB assembly/inspection becomes harder and fine PCB tracks may even be bridged. And subjectively, golden metals appeal beside gray as well! Stan.

Last edited:

SgtB

You should try tinnit. It's two small powder packs you mix with water and dip the board in. Works good.

Mad Professor

Thanks for all your replys.

I did try the maplin's own brand PCB spray, but that reacted with the pcb.

I have not yet tried any other brands, I will give another brand a try, then I will try tinning.

Thanks again for your time.