? PC cd-rom drive controller

hesinije

Dear all,

If this has been posted before then please return me the link, if not:
has anyone ever built a PC cd-rom drive controller with a picaxe to play audio CD's?
I'd like to connect a picaxe to a stand alone PC CD-rom drive to control start, stop, next track and previous track. And, if possible, read the TOC and display track number and track length.
Is there any link on this topic on this forum or the web?

Thanks and regards,

Herman
the Netherlands

Andrew Cowan

Then it shouldn't be too hard to interface a picaxe to them. As for reading the TOC and track length, I think this may be too hard.

Andrew

Grogster

That's something I always wanted to do with old CD-ROM drives when I was experimenting with PIC's. It IS possible, but I don't think with any of the RevEd PICAXE series, as I don't think they can clock the instructions into the CD-ROM fast enough - I THINK...

Silicon Chip magazine did a project which does exactly this, but not with the PICAXE.

It's in their November and December 2007 issues.

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_109528/article.html

I am looking at doing something similar, using buttons on a control panel(still using 2 CD-ROM drives), but it is VERY much in the planning stages only at this point, so can't help you with the specifics.

But the Silicon Chip articles will probably do what you want - just not with the PICAXE...

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It should just be a case of creating an IDE interface and then sending ATAPI commands across that bus. There are not AFAIK any speed requirements for accessing the IDE registers so it should be possible. The main issue would be in creating the hardware interface between the PIACXE and the CD-Rom's IDE interface which needs to be 16-bit wide and bi-directional plus a few control signals.

I experimented with controlling an IDE HDD and CF card via an 8-bit IDE bus using a PICAXE and that worked as far as I took the project. ATAPI should just be an extension to that.

Grogster

Useful info there, hippy.

I was not sure if there was a speed requirement like with the USB bus...

I might keep tinkering with my original concept then.
(but this was only on paper(research) and not even at prototype stage)