Patch for v5.2.4?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
No, it simply means what it says :)

When new versions get released they often come as a full version and a smaller patch which upgrades an earlier version to the latest.

For 5.2.4 there's only the full version release, patches for earlier versions would be nearly as large so not worth issuing as a separate entity.

Grant Fleming

Thanks Hippy,

Don't suppose there would be any problem with product registration by un-installing the existing version first?
Or just download the new and it will detect the old and replace it?
All my programmes are in 'Program Files/Programming Editor'.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Uninstalling what there is and installing a new Programming Editor should work, as should installing over the top of an existing installation, though the later can leave multiple "Programming Editor" entries in the Add/Remove Programs list.

For a 'guaranteed clean install' I usually uninstall all "Programming Editor" entries using Add/Remove Programs, then remove the C:\Program Files\Programming Editor directory tree with Explorer, re-boot and install the new BAS805.

Having Programming Editor software and compilers installed in a number of places for different OS's, I have installed the latest and copied newer files over over ones and not noticed any problems.

What particular problem are you having ?

Grant Fleming

then remove the C:\Program Files\Programming Editor directory tree with Explorer, re-boot and install the new BAS805.
Thanks for the reply.

Just being cautious (or maybe over-cautious). As I mentioned, I have all my own .bas programmes plus other files in Programming Editor. I wouldn't want to remove this as you suggest.
So maybe best if I just rename this existing folder before I do anything. Or am I totally on the wrong track here?

eclectic

@Grant.

I originally kept all my .bas files in the editor folder.
Now, they're kept separate.

Copy and paste the .bas files, to a new folder, in say
My Documents.

Then follow Hippy's procedure.

e

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The uninstaller only removes the files it added, so your new user .bas files would be safe anyway. But it always a good idea to backup your files regularly.

Grant Fleming

eclectic;97851 Copy and paste the .bas files said:
Thanks eclectic.

Well I suppose it was a good thing I did check - as the default folder for saving projects for P.E is in Program Files!
I always do have all this backed-up on a different drive but it's not always quite up to date sometimes.
Anyway, ready to proceed now.

Thankyou both.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Best practice is not to keep any of your own files within the "\Program Files" tree and I think it may be that Vista / Windows 7 disallows this, or it can have nasty, unexpected consequences.

It only takes one anti-virus utility, one operating system service or a less than perfect install script to wipe out what it thinks shouldn't be in the tree and you lose everything. Whether it should happen or not, it's a bit late when everything you've ever worked on disappears forever.

My recommendation is to create C:\PICAXE and store things under appropriate sub-directories there.

And keep backups in sub-directories, different directories, on different partitions, different PC's, on removable media, on removable media held off-site. Each adds a level of protection, giving greater protection as you move through the list.

I've been using "Back2zip v.125", a free utility which will do automatic backups to .Zip files in other directories / disks which is very useful. There's a new "v2" which can also backup to online storage but I haven't tried that. There are probably other alternatives as well.

http://free-backup.info/back2zip.html

Grant Fleming

The uninstaller only removes the files it added, so your new user .bas files would be safe anyway.

That is the bit I had concerns about. I thought it would take the whole folder because it originally put it there.
Thanks, I now understand how the un-installer works.