Parallel LCD- thanks Hippy!

RBruceM

I'm working on another home project and once again am using Picaxes. I needed to implement a simple display and control termnal via a 4x20 reflective LCD display (parallel interface) and a few buttons input. It will have a 300+ ft long, optically isolated current loop serial link to a 40X1 chip acting as my battery bank monitor and charge controller (PV, AC charger, Wind).

With a little search of the forum I found Hippy's marvelous document on "Picaxe LCD Interfacing", and stole his subroutines. It worked like a charm, the very first time. I had a 28X1 on hand which I used for breadboard testing, and switching to a 20X2 on PCB next. The X2's look very good, I'm looking forward to working with them.

This saved me a bunch of time and Hippy's great technical writing is one more reason I just love Rev-ed's Picaxe chips, even though I was once a professional programmer. (EE/CS) Now I have MS and epilepsy with some memory and cognitive problems and especially appreciate having things be as simple as practical.

Thanks again, Hippy, for making parallel LCD interfacing and control such a piece of cake.

Best Wishes,
Bruce M
Snowflake, AZ

westaust55

Great to read that you have achieved success in getting a parallel connected LCD module working relatively easily.

Rev Ed also have an interface chip, the FRM010 which enables you to use just a single serial comms line from teh PICAXE.
Something to keep in mind if the number of PICAXE IO pins available becomes an issue at a future date