Other uses for AXE027 cable

booski

Hi there!

I was looking up a way of making my LG TV play divx files from a USB drive. Most other LG TV's can do this but this one in particular couldn't.
I just happen to come across a website where a particular person created an IR transmitter using an RS232 cable, resistor and IR LED.
He used 'winlirc' to transmit the necessary code via the serial port Tx pin using the IR LED to the TV to enter the LG service menu and enable Divx support.

I thought, great! But I haven't got RS232... but I have got a USB to serial AXE027 cable.
So, there I go, got a 470ohm resistor and IR LED, wrapped the tails around the 3.5mm jack between Tx and GND, pointed it at the TV, pressed send command and Voila! Service menu and USB Divx support!

I was supprised that this little cable and software and simple circuit worked so flawlessly.

So, I thought I'd post about what went on and see if there are any other stories like this about.

Andrew Cowan

Interesting.

RS232 is 'inverted' levels - as is the AXE027. That means that the correct signal would not have been given off by most other TTL USB-serial adaptors, as most invert the signal making it non-inverted.

A