OT: sourcing a 5rpm to 120rpm 12v motor and controller

MartinM57

..reasonable torque - enough to turn a benchtop milling machine X-axis lead screw (not ball screw) via direct drive (but can have gears internal I suppose) - maybe 1 lbft at a guess, or 14Kgcm/~1.4Nm in new money

..with a PWM controller to get the required rpm's - home made (PICAXE based of course) or (preferable) ready made

..EDIT: easily reversible

..max and min rpm's can be flexed (within reason)

..UK and/or that famous auction site

Don't think the hobby type 3mm shaft motors are up to the job.

Any ideas/experiences please?

(oh, did I mention, cheap as chips, as well please :))

Last edited:

Dartmoor

I believe cordless screwdrivers are popular as a power feed on a small milling machine?
Should cope with that speed range and there is a gearbox so plenty of power? Obviously reversible, as people want to unscrew things as much screw them up (appropriate term for Picaxe users?:p).
As for 'cheap as chips' look out for clearance sales etc (or buy new from China?). I bought some 3v ones a couple of years ago reduced down several times from about £10 to £1.99 in a DIY store.
For you use, you would get bonus batts & charger for another project too!!
Hope that helps?

MartinM57

..and from that thought (thanks :)), I tried my 18v Makita drill hand held with it attached to the end of the leadscrew - works fine, a little fast at the lowest speed but probably OK (not tried a cut yet)

So how to mount the Makita? All sorts of complicated designs later trying to tie it to the end of the lathe bed, how about mounting on a little wheeled "truck", so it essentially sits on the ground and walks back and forward with the lathe bed .. maybe a truck on rails to stop it going off sideways?

Heath Robinson would be proud :D

inglewoodpete

I've used ~70 rpm geared 12v motors to drive lead screws. From memory, the stall current was between 1 and 2 amps. These were driven by an L298 H-Bridge with PWM on the enable pin to vary the speed.