OT: How many python devs here?

Jamster

Just wondering but how many on this forum feel they can program or get bye with the python programming language? I know the main language on the forum is (bar basic of course) VB but I'm guessing there are a few python devs on here...

PaulRB

I've dabbled a little. Wrote a micromouse-style maze solving program.

Why the interest?

I know its flavour of the month in linux circles, rasp pi etc. But will it still be around in 10 years I wonder (except for a Wiki page)?

Anyone remember:

Forth

Lisp

Prolog

Miranda

K (boy oh boy, that was terse and impenetrable! The guy who invented that must have really hated typing. )

Last edited:

Jamster

I'm proud to say BBC basic was my first language :p

I agree that it may not be around for as long as some languages but I feel it will have a place as a learning tool and for mathmatical algorithmic uses for a while still. Not my first language but it's been a lot faster to pick up and is really fast to develop on compared to some languages...

Jamster

Armp

I think Python has achieved critical mass, and will be around for a while. It is widely used in industry, at least here in the States, and it's free.

As for BASIC - I've used Color Basic, Sinclair Basic, Basic09, QuickBasic, BASICA, Bascom, Liberty Basic and probably a few more dialects.
I think all are extinct except Liberty which still has a loyal user group.

I do think there's room for BASIC, but probably only for old timers that learned to program years ago in it <g>.

AndyGadget

As for BASIC - I've used Color Basic, Sinclair Basic, Basic09, QuickBasic, BASICA, Bascom, Liberty Basic and probably a few more dialects.
I do think there's room for BASIC, but probably only for old timers that learned to program years ago in it <g>.
This evening I've been writing a program using the Microsoft QB7 (the grandly named Microsoft Professional Development System) which is basically (pun intended) a souped up compilable version of QBasic. I'm processing a large word list to count the syllables in each word and add this as a field in the file. Who needs GUI, OOP and other strange acronyms when you're just crunching numbers and text. ;)

(OK, I know, BASIC is an acronym.)

lewisg

VB.NET is BASIC

Xojo is what REALbasic has morphed into. Cross platform: OS X, Win32/64, Linux. Builds console, GUI and web apps as a (mostly) single executable file. Fully OO if you want to think that way. If you want to get stuff done it is a GREAT tool. With the name change the pricing also changed. The IDE is now free. You only pay for the platforms you want to build for. You can run programs in the IDE so until you have something workable you pay nothing. If you know and like BASIC like I do Xojo is a good way to move forward.

This evening I've been writing a program using the Microsoft QB7
If you like that try QB64. It runs on a lot of modern hardware.

BASIC is far from dead.

Puuhaaja

In industry maybe, but there's much schools were Picaxe are being used and in my opinion Basic is good language to start programming.